Bell recently attended the VR/AR Global Summit to discuss the practical use of incorporating Virtual Reality (VR) into future product concepts and customer experiences. Their panel, “Using Virtual Reality to Design the Future of Flight,” drew a large crowd of industry innovators and thrillists drawn to the business case use of VR production. Using VIVE, virtual reality, and partnering with Sector 5 Digital (S5D), an innovative 3D design and production agency, Bell was able to design their revolutionary FXC-001, which debuted at HAI Heli-Expo in 2017, in less time by jumpstarting straight into the design and implementation phase of the customer journey.
“VR makes possible a number of tasks that Bell’s Innovation Team had never dreamt of before. While it’s impossible to bring a hundred different helicopter platforms and configurations into a sales meeting, VR provides the next best thing.”
The Customer Journey
The team decided to build their mock-ups in VR, and it had a profound effect on their entire concept process. Bell worked with S5D, an innovative 3D design and production agency, to help design and sketch the initial model, then create the aircraft in 3D using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software. The model was then transferred into Unity (a real-time game engine) so the design could be experienced and modified in VR on HTC VIVE.
- JETcopter finalizes 7-seat flying car design
- Russian Helicopters presents in Cambodia
- Sikorsky donates to Patient AirLift Services
- Which US Helicopter Industries Have the Best and the Worst Accident Records?
- Edmonton Police contracts for Safran engine program
- IAR and Airbus Sign H215M Definitive Collaborative Agreement
- New Boeing AH-64E Block 2 Compound
- New Russian High-Speed Helicopter
- H145 Warranty engine extension
- Russian Helicopters sign contract for the supply of 20 Ansats to China
- Joint Venture launches H145 simulator in Norway
- Rockwell Collins awarded five-year US Army contract
- HAI names Director of Safety
- Telephonics AN/ZPY-4 will be used on the MQ-8B Fire Scout
- Canadian Coast Guard donates surplus Bo105s for technical training
- Skyhunter acquires 200K acres for helicopter hog hunting
- Annapurna Helicopter received approval from CAAN, Mustang to receive NOC in a few days
- Parker-Hannifin Awarded $39M Contract for HH-60 Spare Stock Number Items
- Ansat and Mi-171A2 helicopters begin a demonstration tour
- First Zulus arrive at MCAS Cherry Point