Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, and Yamato Holdings Co., Ltd. (TYO: 9064) announced their strategic collaboration for the future of civilian aerial logistics. Together they aspire to be a global leader in electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) logistics and plan to do so by collaborating to integrate innovative autonomous unmanned vehicle systems and package handling systems to create an exceptional customer experience for on-demand logistics services. They expect to introduce their initial product into service by mid-2020s.
“In the past few years, our Bell team has renewed focus on novel innovative solutions to better serve our operators globally, and we are excited to use our expertise to redefine the practice of civilian logistics,” said Scott Drennan, Bell’s vice president of Innovation. “Through this joint effort, we are eager to set a new precedent for on-demand delivery and future large-scale logistics.”
For the initial demonstration activities, Bell will lead the design, development and production of its Autonomous Pod Transport (APT), and Yamato will develop a customized detached pod, highlighting future ground-handling capabilities. The companies’ goal is to demonstrate the integration of the existing ground logistics network with vertical lift capabilities to provide new and innovative services to their customers.
“We have provided logistics services for almost a century and are excited to invest in future services with next-generation technical solutions in collaboration with Bell to provide higher quality deliveries to our customers,” said Shinji Makiura, Yamato’s Management Executive Officer of innovation and business strategy.
Bell’s APT utilizes a tail-sitting eVTOL configuration and an innovative payload pod. The eVTOL can reach speeds of more than 100mph and can be small enough to handle loads up to 15 pounds, or large enough to transport 1,000 pounds. The APT capability enables a whole new level of expedited service and operational efficiency.
- Bell Boeing JPO Awarded $144M Contract for V-22 Support
- Bell Awarded $440M Contract for AH-1Z Production
- Airbus consolidates its global digital strategy
- Landing Support team completes V-22 night taining
- New CAP 1747 Report Identifies Optimum Strategy for Flight Crew HTAWS Alerts
- Indonesian Army selects 9 Bell 412EPI
- NHV expands executive team
- HAL LCH Demonstrates Unique Capability
- Sikorsky Awarded $7M Contract for CH-53K Systems Modifications
- Adar Poonawalla takes delivery of India’s first ACH145
- Helijet supports Power To Be with new partnership
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Chief Operating Officer
- Unique Aerospace Physiology and Human Performance Update Course to be provided at Heli-Expo 2019
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Sikorsky grants Make-A-Wish® Foundation with a S-76 ride
- 7 trainee paramedics start at HIOW Air Ambulance
- Bristow FY2019 Q3 earnings release and concall scheduled
- Donate Items to the HFI Silent Auction
- USMC receives last UH-1Y Venom
- NEMSPA/USHST Joint IFR Helicopter Pilot Survey