NEXA Advisors and the Vertical Flight Society (VFS) announce their collaboration on a new study, Urban Air Mobility (UAM) — Economics and Global Markets.
A growing community of aerospace innovators, engineers, futurists and investors believe that the next urban transportation revolution will be in the air. The global economy has become increasingly connected with point-to-point air service, but surface transit times for people and goods in the world’s major metropolitan communities continues to decline. Recent technology advancements, investments and aircraft developments indicate a potentially transformation in transportation through UAM.
“Urban Air Mobility” refers to the vision for a safe and efficient system for aircraft (piloted or automated) to move passengers and goods within a city. A major driver of worldwide interest in UAM is the advent of new electric and hybrid-electric powered vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft that is driving a new wave in aviation innovation with the promise of significantly lower direct operating, maintenance and energy costs, low noise and little or no emissions.
More than $1 billion has been invested in UAM technology development in recent years, including new eVTOL initiatives by major international aerospace companies (e.g. Airbus, Bell, Boeing, Embraer), innovators (e.g. Joby Aviation, Kitty Hawk, Terrafugia, Volocopter, XTI Aviation) and urban mobility leaders like Uber, with its Elevate UAM initiative.
Companies are making huge strides in vehicle design, motors, digital flight controls and electric vehicle batteries, but there remains a yawning gap of market and economic intelligence in the rapidly-evolving UAM sector, which this study will address.
The joint Urban Air Mobility (UAM) — Economics and Global Markets study is being undertaken by three respected aerospace research organizations. The lead underwriting sponsor is NEXA Advisors, a NEXA Capital company, with a well-known record performing “multi-client” research for the aerospace sector. The Vertical Flight Society is the world’s leading non-profit organization dedicated to advancing vertical flight aircraft and associated technologies, including eVTOL. Aviation Week Network is an underwriting sponsor and contributor with a strong reputation for providing cutting-edge analysis and perspective.
The study will examine technologies; the barriers that stand in the way of this new form of transportation (e.g. regulatory, traffic management, safety, noise and privacy); the first uses of UAM (emergency response, business aviation, vertiport-to-vertiport and airport-to-airport travel); and the investment necessary for vehicles and infrastructure. The study will also forecast the market and economic benefits of UAM to more than 70 metropolitan areas over the next two decades — 2020 to 2040. Study findings will be released April 9-10, 2019 at Aviation Week’s UAM Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
“This first-of-its-kind study will provide insightful business intelligence for our charter subscribers that cities, technology developers and operators need to make informed decisions to integrate UAM into their future plans,” said Michael Dyment, NEXA’s Managing Partner. “We are pleased to be work with the Vertical Flight Society on this study,” he added. “They have extensive technical resources and unique insights into eVTOL developments.”
- First AW189 launched in Korea
- CAMP Systems and Hillsboro Establish Partnership
- Astronautics RoadRunner™ brings enhanced capabilities to Firehawk
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- AMS and AUTOFLUG sign cooperation agreement
- FreeFlight Systems announces new radar altimeter display for operators
- Falcon Aviation to showcase at first Saudi International Airshow
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Unveils New Website & Video Series
- PIF Announces Launch of The Helicopter Company
- NHV Group appoints new CEO
- PHI enters Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- UK AAIB Bulletin – March 2019
- Smart heli-hook helps raise angel to realm of glory
- Astronautics introduces IBEX™ family
- Sterling Launches New Version of QuickOnline Mobile App
- IMT Vislink showcases updated AVDS System
- Toll Helicopters and Seeing Machines have joined forces
- Helicentre announces scholarship winners
- PhilJets orders 3 Bell 505 Helicopters
- HAI Partners with JSfirm.com to Address Shortage