More than 100 technical experts will speak at the Vertical Flight Society’s (VFS) 6th Annual Electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (eVTOL) Aircraft Symposium and 8th Biennial Autonomous VTOL Technical Meeting in Mesa, Arizona on January 29-31, 2019. Information is available at www.vtol.org/autonomous.
“Electric and hybrid-electric propulsion is an exciting new approach to vertical flight aircraft design,” said Mike Hirschberg, VFS Executive Director. “This is the world’s longest-running symposium on eVTOL aircraft. It’s a unique opportunity for designers, developers, innovators, investors, regulators, infrastructure providers, end users, media and key influencers to share knowledge and work towards realizing the electric VTOL revolution. This is also a tremendous opportunity for those new to the VTOL industry.”
Although the popular media refers to this new class of small aircraft using electric and hybrid-electric propulsion as “flying cars,” the moniker “air taxis” is more appropriate for these eVTOL aircraft designed to provide Urban Air Mobility (UAM) services to the public in the near future.
The 6 th Annual eVTOL Symposium will feature some 60 speakers over 10 sessions, covering all aspects of transformative electric and hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft, including: Progress in eVTOL; Challenges in eVTOL; System safety; Standards/regulations; Vehicle technologies; Missions and applications; eVTOL opportunities; Infrastructure/passenger experience; Autonomy and air operations; and eVTOL for good.
More than 130 aircraft are now being tracked by the VFS World eVTOL Aircraft Directory at www.eVTOL.news.
“A lot of people in the aviation industry dismissed the concept a few years ago, but our past symposia have shown that electric VTOL aircraft passenger service is not only possibly but likely within the next few years,” noted Hirschberg, “and eVTOL companies have attracted well over $1B in investment.”
In fact, recent market studies commissioned by NASA, as well as those published by financial investment and analysis companies (e.g. Morgan Stanley) suggest that as many as 100,000 eVTOL aircraft could be flying commercially in the coming decades as part of an emerging $500B to $2T eVTOL market.
The eVTOL revolution is being supported by some of the world’s largest aerospace companies (e.g. Airbus, Bell, Boeing and Embraer), automotive companies (e.g. Aston Martin, Audi, Geely, Honda and Toyota), and technology leaders and investors (e.g. Google, Intel, Tencent and Uber). Piloted and autonomous eVTOL aircraft are being developed for various missions including personal air transport, urban air mobility, air taxi, emergency response and package delivery.
VFS is holding the 6th Annual eVTOL Symposium concurrently with its 8th Biennial Autonomous VTOL Technical Meeting in Mesa, which will feature more than 40 technical papers on eVTOL technologies, unmanned VTOL aircraft (aka “drones”), and various levels of autonomy for manned/unmanned civil/military helicopters and eVTOL aircraft.
In addition, VFS is hosting two new eVTOL short courses in conjunction with the event, taught by experts in their fields: “Electric VTOL Design” and “Electric VTOL Aeromechanics & Acoustic Prediction Software.” The Society has led an extensive effort to educate and inform the community of the promise and challenges of eVTOL and has 50 hours of video lectures and presentations available online.
- HELP Appeal donation funds new helipad for Maidstone Hospital
- Skyhunter Outfitters LLC Extends its 2019 Winter Season Hunt
- Official commentary on illegitimate overhaul of Mi-17V-5
- CAMP Systems International Offers Engine Health Monitoring
- First AW189 launched in Korea
- CAMP Systems and Hillsboro Establish Partnership
- Astronautics RoadRunner™ brings enhanced capabilities to Firehawk
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- AMS and AUTOFLUG sign cooperation agreement
- FreeFlight Systems announces new radar altimeter display for operators
- Falcon Aviation to showcase at first Saudi International Airshow
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Unveils New Website & Video Series
- PIF Announces Launch of The Helicopter Company
- NHV Group appoints new CEO
- PHI enters Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- UK AAIB Bulletin – March 2019
- Smart heli-hook helps raise angel to realm of glory
- Astronautics introduces IBEX™ family
- Sterling Launches New Version of QuickOnline Mobile App
- IMT Vislink showcases updated AVDS System