The first application of the Safran Hybrid-Electric Propulsion System (HEPS), the Bell Nexus, is officially unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. The propulsion solution of this multi-rotor vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft is capable of producing more than 600 kWe power. During ground tests last June the system produced 100 kWe and further tests will be carried out next year.
“This partnership with Bell in the on-demand mobility sector is a strategic opportunity for Safran” said Jean-Baptiste Jarin, Safran Helicopter Engines Vice President, Hybrid Propulsion System Program. “Nexus is the first of a new breed of aircraft, it opens the doors to new markets and new missions. Fully commited to these challenges and sharing a common vision with Bell, we now look forward to seeing it fly”.
”Bell is excited to unveil the Bell Nexus at CES and to share this exciting time with our partners”, says Bell’s Scott Drennan, Vice President of Innovation. “The Bell Nexus delivers a nexus of transport and technology, comfort and convenience. ”We look forward to continuing the development of technology with Safran to bring this nexus to life.”
HEPS works by distributing thermal and/or electrical energy, depending on the phase of flight, to multiple rotors. It comprises three sub-systems: electric generation that relies on a turbo-generator and batteries, electric power management and the electric motors that generate lift and propulsion.
Hybrid-electric propulsion solutions being explored by Safran teams are the most efficient way to enable multi-rotor VTOL aircraft to meet future safety, emission and affordability standards.
By 2025, Safran is committed to becoming the market leader in HEPS technology.
- HENSOLDT enters into Framework Agreement with Airbus
- HELP Appeal donation funds new helipad for Maidstone Hospital
- Skyhunter Outfitters LLC Extends its 2019 Winter Season Hunt
- Official commentary on illegitimate overhaul of Mi-17V-5
- CAMP Systems International Offers Engine Health Monitoring
- First AW189 launched in Korea
- CAMP Systems and Hillsboro Establish Partnership
- Astronautics RoadRunner™ brings enhanced capabilities to Firehawk
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- AMS and AUTOFLUG sign cooperation agreement
- FreeFlight Systems announces new radar altimeter display for operators
- Falcon Aviation to showcase at first Saudi International Airshow
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Unveils New Website & Video Series
- PIF Announces Launch of The Helicopter Company
- NHV Group appoints new CEO
- PHI enters Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- UK AAIB Bulletin – March 2019
- Smart heli-hook helps raise angel to realm of glory
- Astronautics introduces IBEX™ family
- Sterling Launches New Version of QuickOnline Mobile App