[electronic translation] First commander of the Rio de Janeiro Fire Department, Rachel Lopes, 37, does not hide her joy. The prominent position was an old dream. The conquest came after five years of acting as co-pilot in the Air Operations Group (GOA). The work as commander began in December last year. The military has been involved in aeromedical care, which includes inter-hospital transportation of adult and neonatal patients, evacuation of accident victims, and transport of vital organs and tissues, when necessary.
“I feel like a hero when I have the opportunity to do my job.” Reducing time in emergency situations can save lives – said the pilot.
Since new, Rachel was attracted to the work of the Fire Department. It was the brother who informed her about the contest of fighters, the first to accept women.
“The profession of fireman is lovely. It is a very noble function, who never admired or dreamed as a child to be a firefighter? I was informed and encouraged by my brother about the contest that, for the first time, would admit the female entry to combat officer in the corporation. The desire to work with aviation came later. I joined the corporation at age 19, “recalled the major.
With two fellow aviators, soon Rachel began to think about the possibility of acting as a helicopter pilot. In the Fire Department he discovered that the desire could come true.
“At the Sete de Setembro parade, on Presidente Vargas Avenue, I was looking at the corporation’s red helicopter and thinking: I’ll still be up there. The commander of the Air Operations Group at the time told me that no woman had tried. Then I thought: This is going to be my challenge, “he said.
- Honeywell upgrades power and fuel efficiency on T55 engine for Chinook
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Sikorsky Introduces RAIDER X™
- US Army trialing new helicopter pilot training program
- NFAC tests next-generation military helicopter
- Aero Asset’s Q3 Preowned Helicopter Market Trends show improving conditions
- Sikorsky Showcases New Combat Rescue Helicopter
- UK Helicopter Museum celebrates 30 years
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Bell Appoints China State Grid GA as a Bell429 Authorized Maintenance Center
- Arrius engines mark 10 million flight hours
- Celebrating 40 Years of Bell Operating in China
- Safran and AECC introduce the WZ16
- LZControl supercharges its system with new upgrades
- Euramec signs non-exclusive distribution agreement with GeoSim Technologies
- Russia’s state Medevac programme on life-support
- Eemshaven Heliport receives first flight
- MINT Turbines Names New General Manager
- Norwegian Government commits to rescue helicopter base at Tromso by 2022
- CIA Museum adds Mil MI-17 helicopter