Kathryn Purwin is the chief executive of Helinet Aviation. The company was founded in 1998 when Alan Purwin bought Helinet and merged it with his own company, West Coast Helicopters. The company has 17 helicopters, 14 drones and 32 out of the 83 employees are pilots. They assist in news coverage, organ transplant transportation and aerial shots for films.
Kathryn was studying History and Political Science at UCLA when she discovered her love for flying. By 1985, she has flown her first solo flight in a Cessna 172. She then married stunt pilot Alan Purwin in 1994 and gave up flying to raise her two children while Alan ran the business. Unfortunately, Alan was in a fatal plane crash in 2015. Since then, Kathryn has had to step in the run the company.
She has commented that the aviation industry still has a predominantly “men’s club” atmosphere to it, but that things are slowly changing. She had to win over her employees and even had doubt come from the company’s bankers. But she has set in order and routine to the company. Kathryn works with Whirly-Girls, trying to help build female involvement in the industry and has kept free 24/7 emergency medical transport for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles alive, reports LA Times.
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020