The NHV Group today announced a new contract with Elia to provide helicopter services in support of the construction of a
high voltage electricity grid in the Belgian part of the North Sea. The operations are expected to start in April 2019. Flights
will depart from NHV’s base in Ostend.
NHV will support this project utilizing the H145 aircraft, the latest Airbus Helicopter 4-tonne-class twin-engine rotorcraft.
With its high hoisting and hover performance and small footprint, the H145 can operate in performance class 1 conditions,
while its compact airframe can manoeuvre in confined offshore environments.
The Modular Offshore Grid (MOG) is the first grid project of Elia at sea and the first of its kind in Belgium. The MOG will group
and connect the offshore produced energy of four new wind farms (Rentel, Seastar, Mermaid and Northwester 2), so that it
can be injected in the Belgian onshore grid via fewer sea cables. It consists of an Offshore Switchyard Platform (OSY), the
transmissions systems on the Rentel platform and three submarine power cables connecting the platforms with the Stevin
380kV-substation in Zeebrugge. The MOG is of strategic importance for Belgium’s further development of renewable energy
in the North Sea. The Modular Offshore Grid is scheduled to be taken into use by the end of the third quarter of 2019.
NHV’s base manager Bram De Backer commented: “We are delighted to be contributing to this pioneering project. Building on the expertise and know-how demonstrated in our other offshore operations, our goal is to deliver a state-of-the-art and safe service to Elia as they progress towards the MOG completion.
We thank Elia for their trust in NHV and we look forward to the start of our operations together.” This contract also fits in NHV’s long-term strategy to broaden its range of services to the energy market and to grow the renewables service alongside the oil and gas service.
- Russian Helicopters plans on ditching western-built engines
- New Wheeler Army Airfield Airspace Design
- EFW Awarded $18M Contract for Procurement of 13 V-22 Processors
- Sikorsky Awarded $23M Contract for UH-60 Overhaul
- Airbus awarded Australia’s ARH Tiger support contract extension
- VIH Aerospace Achieves AS9100D Certification
- Heli-One and Caverton Sign Support Agreement
- FlightSafety integrates its Mixed Reality and VITAL 1100 Visual Systems
- H135 final assembly line starts operations
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- AVX Aircraft and L3 Technologies Unveil Leap-Ahead Design
- 360-Degree Pilot Visual System Completes First Flight
- MD Helicopters enhances MD969
- Pilot shortage at Nassau County Police unit
- Air Methods closes Rainbow City base in Alabama
- Honeywell T55 Engine Powers New Future Vertical Lift Aircraft
- DRF makes successful start at new Bautzen base
- Universal Avionics Receives STC for InSight™ Touchscreen Control
- US State Dept sells little-used S61T fleet
- DRF Luftrettung buys Northern HeliCopter GmbH