Thirty-eight years after CareFlight put its first helicopter into service, it has another first: the first all-female flight crew.
“It’s super exciting – for girls to actually think they can do this,” says Elisabeth Abel, Flight Nurse on the first all-female flight crew in the region’s history. The crew includes a pilot, flight nurse and flight medic.
“Women make up about 5% of the aviation industry, and only 2% of helicopter pilots,” says Esther Babcock, pilot and newest member of the CareFlight crew. Having grown up in Pagosa Springs, Esther is a Colorado native and says being in Montrose is a dream come true for her. Previously, she was one of two helicopter pilots on the entire big island of Hawaii.
All three women are highly trained in their field. “We’re held to a really high standard,” says Becky Sproul, Flight Paramedic. “That’s what makes this an awesome place to work. It’s not a job for anyone to take lightly.” Becky’s background before coming to CareFlight was working for a different air transport service that was city-oriented and had high patient volumes. For the pre-hospital setting she operates in, being in a rural area like Western Colorado means her patients generally are higher acuity, making it incredibly challenging – in a good way. “It’s a very competitive field.”
The crew – who have named themselves The Broad Squad – say there are advantages to an all-female flight crew. “When you’re flying three girls, that means your flight load is lighter!” jokes Elisabeth. According to Esther, there’s something special about “that female vibe” – especially being with other women used to working in a male dominated industry. With different backgrounds and a mutual respect for one another, they describe each other with respect and as trail blazers in their industry. One thing is for certain: Montrose and the Western Slope has an inspirational group of role models for women everywhere.
- Rostec to show Ansat at Paris Air Show 2019
- SH09 third prototype flies higher and faster in Sicily
- Experts spell out actions for safety excellence
- Dallas Airmotive joins MRO Insider’s Network of Maintenance Providers
- Sundance Helicopters Partners with Hillsboro Heli Academy
- Devon Air Ambulance pilot elected to prestigious flight safety post
- Speakers for 10th Anniversary Aeromedical Conference
- EU wide rules on drones published
- VIKING secures offshore helicopter PPE contract
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Communications Director
- Boeing Awarded $194M Contract for MH-47G Procurement
- 30 years of Christoph 51 in service
- Airbus to mark 50 years of pioneering achievements at Paris Air Show 2019
- US Navy Reservist Takes Helm of Helicopter Training Squadron 8
- Workhorse Group Secures Financing
- VFS Expands Support to eVTOL
- Specialist Aviation Services welcomes new CEO
- Nakanihon Air Service takes delivery of 20th H135
- Air Methods Added to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama’s Air Ambulance Network
- GHS announces Red Cross contract in Nigeria