Airbus Helicopters North America is celebrating two milestone anniversaries of operations this year. Airbus Helicopters, Inc., based in Grand Prairie, Texas, is celebrating 50 years of sales and support for U.S. helicopter operators, while Airbus Helicopters Canada Ltd., located in Fort Erie, Ontario, is marking its 35-year milestone.
“For 50 years, our customers and the local communities in which we are based have relied on us as a strong partner for advancing the aviation industry in North America,” said Chris Emerson, head of the North America region. “This represents 50 years of experience, expertise, customer experience, innovation, and technology – a strong foundation that has secured our leadership position today and that will prepare us for success in the next 50 years.”
Airbus Helicopters Inc.’s operations began in the U.S. in 1969 with the establishment of Vought Helicopter, Inc. in Texas, which France’s Aerospatiale took over in 1974. The company opened the doors to its current facilities in Grand Prairie in 1980. Airbus Helicopters Canada traces its roots to MBB Helicopter Canada Ltd., founded in 1984 in Fort Erie, after successful negotiations between MBB Helicopters, Fleet Aerospace, and the Canadian and Ontario governments.
The U.S. and Canadian companies were renamed American Eurocopter Corporation and Eurocopter Canada Ltd. with the merger of the helicopter divisions of Aerospatiale and MBB to form Eurocopter Group in 1992. In 2003, American Eurocopter opened production facilities in Columbus, Mississippi, and in 2004, Eurocopter Canada expanded its presence in Fort Erie, Ontario & Richmond, British Columbia.
After a series of product development, sales, and delivery milestones, the two companies took on the Airbus branding in 2014 and now comprise a regional organization, Airbus Helicopters North America, which will be celebrating the milestone anniversaries with events and campaigns throughout the year.
Airbus Helicopters is the leading provider of helicopters in North America, with more than 700 customers operating nearly 2,600 aircraft. Airbus Helicopters, Inc. and Airbus Helicopters Canada Ltd. manufacture, market, sell, assemble, support and provide training solutions for Airbus helicopters through two sites in the United States, one in Canada, and a large network of service centers. With nearly 1,000 skilled and dedicated employees, Airbus Helicopters North America has increased its combined U.S. and Canadian market share in terms of gross bookings to more than 70 percent and is number one in five out of the six main commercial and civil helicopter market segments.
- Falcon Aviation starts AW169 helicopter transport operations in Kuwait
- Vertical Flight Society to Highlight eVTOL Revolution at Heli-Expo 2019
- Upgrades to Inverness hospital life-Saving Helipad
- Portugal’s Air Force takes delivery of first two AW119Kx
- USCG starts MH-65E Initial Operational Test And Evaluation
- Honeywell to launch eVTOL hybrid-electric propulsion system at Heli-Expo 2019
- Advanced Turbine Engine Company Files Protest For ITEP
- Nominations Open for the International Aerial Firefighting Awards 2019
- Heligo receives its first H145
- DRF releases 2018 operating statistics
- IBAC Welcomes New IS-BAO Operations Manager
- HAL takes leading role in organising Aero India 2019
- Russian Helicopters identified potential partners in localization of Ka-226T in India
- DRF Luftrettung – “Use of unmanned aerial vehicles in emergency medicine”
- Genesys HeliSAS stability augmentation system now certified for IFR
- Ace Aeronautics sells three UH-60s to Austrian military
- DRF Luftrettung and Lufthansa Aviation Training cooperate
- Russian Helicopters to take part in Aero India 2019
- Canada donates surplus Coast Guard Bo105 to BCIT
- Major PHI shareholder issues Open Letter to Management