Airbus Helicopters North America is celebrating two milestone anniversaries of operations this year. Airbus Helicopters, Inc., based in Grand Prairie, Texas, is celebrating 50 years of sales and support for U.S. helicopter operators, while Airbus Helicopters Canada Ltd., located in Fort Erie, Ontario, is marking its 35-year milestone.
“For 50 years, our customers and the local communities in which we are based have relied on us as a strong partner for advancing the aviation industry in North America,” said Chris Emerson, head of the North America region. “This represents 50 years of experience, expertise, customer experience, innovation, and technology – a strong foundation that has secured our leadership position today and that will prepare us for success in the next 50 years.”
Airbus Helicopters Inc.’s operations began in the U.S. in 1969 with the establishment of Vought Helicopter, Inc. in Texas, which France’s Aerospatiale took over in 1974. The company opened the doors to its current facilities in Grand Prairie in 1980. Airbus Helicopters Canada traces its roots to MBB Helicopter Canada Ltd., founded in 1984 in Fort Erie, after successful negotiations between MBB Helicopters, Fleet Aerospace, and the Canadian and Ontario governments.
The U.S. and Canadian companies were renamed American Eurocopter Corporation and Eurocopter Canada Ltd. with the merger of the helicopter divisions of Aerospatiale and MBB to form Eurocopter Group in 1992. In 2003, American Eurocopter opened production facilities in Columbus, Mississippi, and in 2004, Eurocopter Canada expanded its presence in Fort Erie, Ontario & Richmond, British Columbia.
After a series of product development, sales, and delivery milestones, the two companies took on the Airbus branding in 2014 and now comprise a regional organization, Airbus Helicopters North America, which will be celebrating the milestone anniversaries with events and campaigns throughout the year.
Airbus Helicopters is the leading provider of helicopters in North America, with more than 700 customers operating nearly 2,600 aircraft. Airbus Helicopters, Inc. and Airbus Helicopters Canada Ltd. manufacture, market, sell, assemble, support and provide training solutions for Airbus helicopters through two sites in the United States, one in Canada, and a large network of service centers. With nearly 1,000 skilled and dedicated employees, Airbus Helicopters North America has increased its combined U.S. and Canadian market share in terms of gross bookings to more than 70 percent and is number one in five out of the six main commercial and civil helicopter market segments.
- Dickson sworn in as new FAA Administrator
- Bell Announces 200th Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Delivery
- Pratt & Whitney to Open New Engine Overhaul Centre in Brazil
- Life Flight Network Achieves NAAMTA Medical Transport Accreditation
- WAI Receives Grant from the ISTAT Foundation
- Cornwall Air Ambulance appoints first Vice President
- Kopter enters the Brazilian market
- Leonardo confirms solid presence in the Brazilian VIP market at
- Elbit to supply components for CV-22 Color Helmet Mounted Display System
- East Anglia Air Ambulance to extend Norwich head office
- Forecast International Publishes White Paper on Global Outlook for Helicopters
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Airbus now accepting nominations for sixth annual ‘Innovation in Safety Award’
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Shortlisted for Third Sector Awards
- Thames Valley Air Ambulance partners with what3words app
- STARS announces winners of $4.1M Saskatchewan Lottery
- Genesys Aerosystems Equipped Leonardo TH-119 Achieves IFR Certification
- Boeing opens V-22 production facility
- Helicentre Announces Bristow CPL(H) Scholarship
- Keynote Speakers Announced for CHC Safety & Quality Summit