A new heliport is to be built in the Japanese city of Fukuoka to help ease pressure on the city’s Airport. As of 2017, Fukuoka Airport was not only the fourth busiest in Japan, but also the fourth busiest single-runway airport in the world – both measures based on annual passenger numbers, which exceeded 20 million in 2015. It is almost entirely surrounded by a heavily built-up area right up to its boundary on all sides.
Tentatively named “Natari Heliport”, the new facility is being built on an empty plot of land adjacent to the Gan’nosu Recreation Centre on the northern side of Fukuoka, on the road out to Shika Island. The site is (rather usefully!) adjacent to the Fukuoka VOR.
Plans include full heliport facilities with hangars, associated offices, refuelling facilities and other office buildings for associated companies. Construction is due to begin this month, for completion in November 2019.
Over 30 helicopters are currently based at Fukuoka Airport, more than half of which numerate the fleet of Nishi Nihon Kuyu (West Japan Airlift) which includes four Airbus AS350s, three Bell 427s, two Bell 412s, two Kawasaki KB117s and six EC145s. It is not clear whether the four Japan Air Self-Defence Force Chinooks, or the three helicopters of Japan Coast Guard, will also make the move.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- CEO of Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford among nation’s Most Powerful Women
- Southwest Fuel Systems Announces New Triumph Hydromechanical Unit MRO Capability for RR M250 Engines
- Airbus delivers first SAR H145 for German Armed Forces ahead of schedule
- Permali to supply ballistic protection for Royal Navy Commando Merlin fleet
- New app launched for owners to track inspections, maintenance, billing etc
- RYAN AEROSPACE launches HELIMOD Mark III PLUS+ at I/ITSEC
- Elbit helps add Integrated Weapon System to MD530MG
- AMSTAT announces an upgraded Dashboard for AMSTAT Premier and Connect
- Air Evac Lifeteam closes two Arkansas bases
- Horizon purchased Entrol a Bell 505 FTD Level 2 simulator
- Reiser wins Australian Forces contract for MRH90 Maintenance Training Rig
- Major Trauma Centre first in UK to benefit from weather station
- Transformative Vertical Flight 2020 and eVTOL Symposium
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot
- Kopter to present final design features of its SH09 at Heli-Expo 2020
- Aston Martin and Airbus prepare to take to the skies
- Transcend Air partners with Huslig design studio on VY400R eVTOL interior
- 12 Rules to Live by for Your Pre-Flight Helicopter Inspection
- HSC-26 Holds Change of Command Ceremony
- 09-Dec-19 ZK-HPB Airbus AS350B2 White Island, New Zealand