The International Business Aviation Council (IBAC) announced today that industry veteran Katherine Hilst has joined the organization as the new Operations Manager for the International Standard for Business Aircraft Operations (IS-BAO) Programme.
Bennet Walsh, Programme Director of IS-BAO, commented, “Katherine’s credentials as a professional pilot, a safety management expert, instructor, aviation lawyer, and experienced IS-BAO auditor are outstanding, and we are excited to have her join the IBAC team. She brings operational insight and experience as an educator that are sure to enhance our educational programs and help us further develop the new progressive stage 3.”
As a safety management consultant and experienced IS-BAO auditor since 2010, Katherine’s role will include workshop and educational program development based on industry feedback to meet the needs of IS-BAO operators now and in the future.
“Safety is truly a passion for me and helping our industry be more proactive has always been at the core of my aviation career,” stated Katherine Hilst. “I have always recognized the ISBAO standard as comprehensive and adaptable to any operation, and I have seen this successful program work for many business aviation operators as an IS-BAO auditor. I love teaching at all levels and look forward to my new role of renewing the educational program for IS-BAO.”
During the span of her extensive aviation career, Katherine began as a charter pilot and flight instructor in California and later became chief pilot for the operation. She then moved north and became the first safety manager for one of the largest helicopter operators in Alaska in the mid-1990s. Katherine later owned and operated a helicopter trekking and skiing company in Juneau, where she developed the safety and CRM training program for their pilots and crew. She has worked as a Human Factors/CRM instructor and consultant and in 2009 formed Safety Design Consulting, LLC, where she provided consulting services to the industry, including auditing for IS-BAO and Tour Operators Program of Safety (TOPS). Katherine is also an auditor for the Helicopter Association International (HAI) Accredited Program of Safety. As a commercial pilot in both helicopter and fixed-wing, Katherine has logged over 3200 hours of flight time and is a rotorcraft and instrument flight instructor.
Katherine received a Bachelor of Music in piano at the Oberlin College Conservatory of Music. She also has a Bachelor of Liberal Arts from University of Alaska Southeast. She graduated with honors earning a Juris Doctor from the University of Washington School of Law and was admitted to the Alaska and Washington Bar Associations. Katherine has also earned a Master of Aeronautical Science, Aviation, and Aerospace Safety Systems degree with distinction from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
As an adjunct faculty member since 2010 for the Central Oregon Community College, Katherine teaches aviation-related subjects. She is also an online instructor for an aviation law course for Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Katherine and her husband reside in Bend, Oregon.
- Building Work Begins on new Penzance Heliport
- Two Nepalese operators to add Airbus H125 in coming weeks
- Senior Director of Product Development named at EastWest Industries
- Airbus bids for Australian Army tender with H145M
- HSM-70 celebrates 10 years of excellence
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to carry blood supplies
- L3 WESCAM Launches In-Flight Training Course for MX™-Series EO/IR Turrets
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order
- Canadian Coast Guard picks Dart wearplates for Bell 429 fleet
- AIM raises awareness for careers in Aviation Maintenance
- PAL-V unveils the distinctive features of the PAL-V Liberty Pioneer
- Caverton Helicopters picks Thales for AW139 simulator
- PHi report on results for the year to 31 December 2018
- Hawker Pacific supplies bespoke mission system
- Bell delivers B505 Jet Ranger X to Stockton Police
- Savback Helicopters appoints new CEO
- Hensoldt enters into Framework Agreement with Airbus
- HELP Appeal donation funds new helipad for Maidstone Hospital
- Skyhunter Outfitters LLC Extends its 2019 Winter Season Hunt
- Official commentary on illegitimate overhaul of Mi-17V-5