Babcock has in the last week completed a fleet move that saw two helicopters moving from UK to Australia, and two coming back on the return flight. The move was completed by freight specialists Volga-Dnepr Airlines (VDA), using an Antonov An-124 aircraft. After shipping two Leonardo AW139 helicopters from Prestwick UK to Melbourne in Australia, VDA then positioned their Antonov to Darwin. Here they have picked up two Sikorsky S92s which arrived back at Prestwick Airport in the UK late on Sunday evening for future offshore work on the North Sea.
The two AW139s will be operated from Karratha by Babcock on their new five year contract with Santos, announced recently. They were part of a fleet of four which were operated by Babcock MCS Offshore from their British base at Norwich for Perenco. Babcock lost this contract to Bristow, effective 1st January 2019, and then closed their base there. Of the remaining two, Waypoint Leasing immediately put one of the AW139s into storage with Agusta Aerospace Services (a subsidiary of Leonardo) at their facility in Liege, Belgium. We await the onward work for the fourth aircraft, which has been at Babcock’s Aberdeen base since 2nd January.
The pair of S92s leaves just two others in the Babcock MCS Australiasia fleet, alongside at least ten Bell 412s, two Airbus H175s, ten Leonardo AW139s, and some smaller aircraft. The UK operation of Babcock MCS Offshore now has just three AW139s including the one currently in storage and two others contracted for offshore SAR work. Their UK offshore fleet also includes 14 Sikorsky S92s, four Airbus H175s and the two AS365N3s operated out of Blackpool for Centrica.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Penzance Helicopters cancels schedules for over three months
- Babock re-launches scheduled services in Spain with AW139
- Spanish operator Helity adds new scheduled route
- THC wins AW139 contract from Red Sea Development Company
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- MDFR upgrades fleet with delivery of first AW139
- Penzance Helicopters introduces AW139 to Isles of Scilly service
- Global AirParts announces AW139 part out project
- Leonardo AW139 – EASA AD 2020-0191 : Equipment / Furnishings
- Changes coming for heliport at Macau International Airport
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- 24-Jul-20 VH-TJO Leonardo AW139 Goulburn, Australia
- Leonardo presents AW139 enhanced capabilities
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- 20-Jun-20 VH-EGK Leonardo AW139 Caboolture, Australia
- Penzance Helicopters flights to restart 4th July, plus AW139 update
- FAA approves Coptersafety AW139 simulator
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada