StandardAero and Robertson Fuel Systems are relishing the overwhelming success of their retrofittable crash-resistant fuel tank (CRFT) for the Airbus Helicopters AS350 and EC130 series, with delivery into the European market on the near horizon. Launch European customer and notorious mountain rescue service provider, Air Zermatt, is set to take acceptance of their first CRFT this spring.
Since receiving Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) approval in December 2017, and subsequent approval by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), the joint StandardAero and Robertson Fuel Systems team has delivered more than 108 CRFTs to its customers in the continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Guatemala and Australia, with an ample order book for more anticipated deliveries in the coming months.
“It’s no surprise that our crash-resistant fuel tank has seen such great success in its first year,” said Rick Stine, President of StandardAero Components, Helicopters & Accessories. “The industry has a strong demand for improved safety solutions for legacy helicopters like the AS350, and with products like those that comprise our SAFECRAFT portfolio, our team of aftermarket experts are leading the development of mission critical safety solutions to face those demands head-on.”
The CRFT was derived from Robertson Fuel Systems’ proven military fuel restraint technologies and adapted to meet the needs of civilian operators. It is the only retrofittable solution for the AS350 helicopter platform that has been successfully tested and certified with an external cargo swing installed, and that is fully compliant with the latest FAA FAR Part 27.952 fuel system crashworthiness requirements. In addition, customers such as Air Zermatt are able to take advantage of the thoughtfully simplistic installation design of the CRFT, allowing for easy retrofit, with no specialized field service or intrusive structural modifications needed, reducing aircraft downtime significantly.
“Due to the critical missions our helicopters perform, safety, availability and reliability all go hand in hand,” said René Lauber, Technical Director for Air Zermatt. “When choosing the best fuel tank retrofit option for our needs, it was imperative that we select a solution that would result in minimal impact to our operations, which the StandardAero tank was able to provide.”
The CRFT serves as the cornerstone of StandardAero’s SAFECRAFT portfolio, a collection of safety equipment solutions which includes ADS-B In/Out options that surpass pending regulatory requirements and an advanced autopilot system with unparalleled capability. Visitors of the Heli-Expo trade show and exposition taking place March 5 – 7, 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia who are interested in learning more about the SAFECRAFT portfolio are welcome to visit booth #B1429, where an AS350 helicopter demonstrator incorporating a model of the joint StandardAero and Robertson Fuel Systems CRFT will be on display. Visitors can also stop by the StandardAero booth or the Robertson Fuel Systems booth (#C1028) to view an interactive 3D depiction of the crash-resistant fuel tank’s unique features.
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020