Helicentre Aviation Academy has announced the winners of its 2018 Professional Helicopter Pilot Scholarship Programme. Tom Oliver from Sheffield received the prestigious Commercial Pilot Scholarship award worth £50,000 (GBP), and Sam Turner from London, the Flight Instructor Scholarship worth £20,000 (GBP).
In addition, thirteen of the academy’s trainee helicopter pilots have received part-funded scholarships towards their Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor courses. The prize fund totalled an enormous £150,000 (GBP), the most the company has awarded in a single year. A cumulative total of £650,000 (GBP) worth of training has been awarded since 2012.
Tom currently holds a PPL(H) and is a student on the BSc (Hons) Professional Aviation Pilot Practice (Helicopter) degree programme delivered as a joint initiative between Helicentre Aviation and Middlesex University. The scholarship Tom has been awarded will fully fund the flight training costs of the modular CPL(H) course, including ATPL(H)/IR Theoretical Knowledge training and all post-PPL(H) hour building in the Cabri G2 helicopter.
Once qualified as a Commercial Helicopter Pilot, Tom’s total flight time will be close to 200 hours and he will be offered a Line Pilot position with the company. On hearing the news of the award, Tom said “I would like to thank everyone at Helicentre for the opportunity. I am so grateful and ready to buckle down for the hard work so I can progress on with my flying career.”
Helicentre Aviation recently shared the success of 2017 CPL(H) scholarship winner, Janine Lythe, who qualified as a Commercial Pilot earlier this year. The life-changing award paid for all her professional flight training to CPL(H) and she is now ready to start the FI(H) course which will allow her to join the company as a full-time Flight Instructor from June this year.
Applications for Helicentre Aviation’s 2020 Scholarship Programme have now opened. In order to be eligible for selection, applicants must submit their forms by 31st December 2019 and complete their Private Pilot Licence (Helicopter) with Helicentre Aviation before 30th September 2020.
- The Official 2019 White House Christmas Ornament is a helicopter
- FAA releases list of OTC medications under Go and NoGo categories
- Helijet CEO receives HAC Lifetime Achievement award
- USHST Initiatives Aim to Cut Down Fatal Accidents
- Russian Helicopters and Pratt & Whitney Canada sign contract
- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 8 Conducts Change of Command
- Raytheon debuts portable V-22 virtual reality trainer
- Honeywell collaborates with autonomous control innovator Daedalean
- Hungary takes delivery of its first two H145Ms
- Life Link III to help launch new research academy
- US Helicopter Occupant Safety – FAA online toolkit
- MDFR Orders AW139
- Airbus signs Global Support Contract for Tiger
- Boston MedFlight will now carry life-saving blood products
- LADWP Launches Human External Cargo Program
- Lockheed Martin makes Australia/NZ helicopter appointment
- Airbus improves service request facility in Keycopter portal
- MD Helicopters receive fourth Afghan MD530F order
- Helijet appoints Director of Maintenance
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours