Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust is set to open a new 24 hour helipad at Maidstone Hospital thanks to the generous support of the HELP (Helicopter Emergency Landing Pads) Appeal.
Robert Bertram, Chief Executive of the HELP Appeal, presented a cheque to the Trust on Wednesday 13 March. The charity is the only one in the country dedicated to funding hospital helipads.
Currently helicopters are using a temporary landing site at the rear of the oncology unit at Maidstone Hospital, but this site is frequently waterlogged. The new helipad will permanently replace this and will bring a 24 hour safe landing site back to Maidstone.
John Weeks, Head of Emergency Planning & Response at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust, said: ‘We are extremely grateful to the HELP Appeal for generously agreeing to fund the landing site which will make a real difference to Maidstone Hospital.
Leigh Curtis, Executive Director of Service Delivery, Air Ambulance Kent Surrey Sussex said: ‘Having access to hospitals, like Maidstone, is vitally important to Air Ambulance Kent Surrey Sussex, as it gives us the ability to reduce our patients’ journey time, giving them access to critical care quicker. This one is particularly meaningful to us, as it allows us to serve our founding community at its very heart.’
Robert Bertram, CEO of the HELP Appeal commented: ‘We go where we are needed most and Maidstone Hospital needed our help. Seriously ill patients need hospital care in a matter of minutes to increase their chances of survival and recovery. Building a helipad with zero risk of becoming waterlogged will ensure this happens, saving time and saving lives.’
The helipad is expected to be finished and ready for use by Spring of 2020.
The HELP Appeal has donated £150,000 today and a further £150,000 will be donated later in the year.
- Airbus awarded Australia’s ARH Tiger support contract extension
- VIH Aerospace Achieves AS9100D Certification
- Heli-One and Caverton Sign Support Agreement
- FlightSafety integrates its Mixed Reality and VITAL 1100 Visual Systems
- H135 final assembly line starts operations
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- AVX Aircraft and L3 Technologies Unveil Leap-Ahead Design
- 360-Degree Pilot Visual System Completes First Flight
- MD Helicopters enhances MD969
- Pilot shortage at Nassau County Police unit
- Air Methods closes Rainbow City base in Alabama
- Honeywell T55 Engine Powers New Future Vertical Lift Aircraft
- DRF makes successful start at new Bautzen base
- Universal Avionics Receives STC for InSight™ Touchscreen Control
- US State Dept sells little-used S61T fleet
- DRF Luftrettung buys Northern HeliCopter GmbH
- RUAG STC integrates customized avionics and night vision capabilities
- Sikorsky Teamsters Win the Ergo Cup
- ARH Tiger support contract extension announced
- Era Helicopters Wins 2019 NOIA Safety in Seas Award