Caverton, a key aviation and marine logistics player for the Nigerian oil and gas industry sector, aims to deliver AW139 Simulator training to pilots. This move is a key step forward in Caverton’s strategic move into flight simulation training services. They have chosen to rely on Thales’s AW139-configured Reality H Full-Flight Simulator to accomplish this ambition.
The simulator will be installed at Caverton’s new training centre, designed to meet the increased demand for helicopter pilot training and, in particular, to eliminate the challenges experienced by many pilots aiming to obtain initial and recurrent training. The training centre’s ultimate aim is to improve the overall safety of helicopter flights in the Nigerian and regional aviation sector. The centre is being set up on the same site as Caverton’s brand new purpose-built Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facility at Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria.
The Thales Reality H Full Flight Simulator is the world’s most advanced commercial helicopter simulator, and will be used to provide realistic scenario-based flight and mission training to AW139 helicopter operators in the region as well as Caverton’s own pilots and crews. The simulator will support a large range of training needs, including Type Rating, Recurrent Training and Proficiency Checks for both Visual Flight Rules (VFR) and Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), including offshore missions and VIP operations to unprepared landing sites. It will be qualified to meet EASA Level D standard, the highest level of qualification for a simulator.
The simulator being delivered to Caverton will enable pilots that fly AW139 twin-engine helicopters –one of the most popular helicopter platforms in Nigeria and the region– to be fully immersed in a realistic virtual environment representing Nigerian operational areas, and learn to handle a multitude of system failures and overcome very complex malfunctions should they arise in the real world. Pilots can thus train safely in high-risk mission scenarios in a range of weather conditions.
“We are delighted to add Thales to our growing list of partners and we are confident in providing the best helicopter training with this Full Flight Level D Simulator. Safety is our priority at Caverton and we are committed to improving flight safety across our industry and the region through simulator-based training. The new training center being the first of its kind in Africa and will advance safety for the dedicated men and women who fly every day.” Aderemi Makanjuola, Chairman, Caverton Offshore Support Group.
“Thales is very excited to be part of this initiative with Caverton in Nigeria. We believe that Caverton is the best partner to develop helicopter flight training services, and we are confident that pilots will be keen to train with Caverton on the Thales AW139 Reality H simulator. This will strengthen Caverton’s position as a leading provider of aviation logistics and training services in the region, enabling them to expand their service offer, while improving the security of helicopter flights in the region. This contract is also a key milestone for Thales as this will be the first helicopter level D Full-Flight Simulator to be installed in Africa.” Benoît Plantier, VP Thales, Training & Simulation.
- MD Helicopters deliver MD530F to Wilson Construction
- Kaman Recognized by Sikorsky as Elite Supplier
- Maelstrom AFB opens Helicopter Operations Alert Facility
- EHang to Expand Production Facility
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- HeliSpeed signs SAR support agreement with British International
- Airinmar selected by Air Methods for warranty and value engineering services
- Former HAI chairman Wisecup passes away
- AAMS issue statement on HHS report on surprise medical billing
- Wilson Construction upgrades MD500E to MD530F standard
- Transport Canada Approve HTC metal blades for Bell 204, 205 and UH-1
- Nigerian union pickets Bristow Helicopters
- Russian Helicopters delivers first Mi-8AMT to Vityaz-Aero
- EHang 216 Obtained Special Flight Operations Certificate from TCCA
- 04-Aug-20 RA-06353 Robinson R66 Mount Belukha, Russia
- 04-Aug-20 D-HIPO Bell 47G4A Lübstorf, Germany
- Babcock wins major new contracts with Total E&P UK
- Triumph to provide helicopter MRO services to Global Aerospace Logistics
- MedEvac Foundation Invites Participants to Virtual Event
- SPAES H145 night vision approvals updated for new tactical radios