Donatelli Gerardo has become one of Coptersafety’s full-time flight instructors. He has an extensive career as a military, HEMS, Offshore, and SAR pilot. Moreover, he has a Bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical Sciences from the Federico II University in Naples.
Donatelli has had a long pilot career. For the past 22 years, Gerardo has flown different rotorcrafts, including the AW139. Furthermore, he has a comprehensive background being a flight instructor in the air force and as a civilian.
“Being a helicopter pilot has been, up to date, the most fantastic adventure that life could gift me with. It took me from one side of the world to the other; round and round, over and over. I’ve been able to and continue to get to know so many new and amazing people. These people have helped me grow as a human being and as a professional. From every company I worked for and from every person I worked with, I’ve always managed to gain more information to put in my backpack. Moreover, I hope that I can leave them feeling the same,” Donatelli expands joyfully.
EXPERIENCED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR STRENGTHEN COPTERSAFETY’S TRAINING OPERATIONS
Gerardo brings with him 27 years of professional aviation experience. After joining the Air Force Academy in 1992, he served the military for 16 years. So, in 2008, when he took a leap of faith and entered the civil helicopter operations he moved on to SAR operations. From there on out, between 2008 and 2015 he was able to gain experience in the SAR, HEMS, and offshore operations around the globe as he worked for companies such as; Westar Aviation, Abu Dhabi Aviation, etc.
“In 2015 I started as a freelance instructor at Coptersafety. Soon after that, in 2016, I also found another job flying offshore and also training on the AW139 again” tells Gerardo. “Not long after I had started, I was the only TRI/TRE on the line at the time. Training the pilots was one of the most completing experiences of my flying career. When I was preparing the pilots, who were doing their initial training in the real AW139 helicopters I was able to apply and teach things I had already been teaching in the simulator at Coptersafety. This duality between Sim and real Helicopter really brings up the level of teaching. Doing OEIs from an Oil Rig at night with the real helicopter can be challenging no matter how many times you tested it in the sim. After all, you are still playing with somebody’s 14Mil toy” giggles Gerardo.
SUPPORTING THE OFFICE ADMINISTRATION
During Gerardo’s military career, he also worked as a Safety Officer and Operation Manager.
“I got to spend a bit of time in the office as well. This thought me a great deal about how to deal with people and how to manage them to get the best out of everybody so we could reach our targets.” Thus, to utilize Gerardo’s diverse background and professional skills, he will also be supporting the sales department at Coptersafety here on out.
“Due to my long career as a pilot and instructor, I have gained much know-how and experience I now want to share,” states Gerardo, whose motto is “if you have any doubts or questions, even the smallest, speak up.”
- Boost Human External Cargo Systems Exhibiting at HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- eVTOL manufacturer Joby Aviation raises $590 Million
- Helicopter Foundation International changes name
- Bristow Supports Republic of Singapore Air Force, Australia Bushfire Relief Operations
- Genesys Aerosystems Offers New Line of Digital Radios
- Bristow to merge with Era Helicopters
- AirX proposes new tourist flights from Tokyo Heliport
- Elbit Systems Successfully Demonstrates High-Altitude High-Precision Aerial Firefighting Solution
- PS Engineering announces PAC45 with dual control head – PAC45D
- DRF Foundation to fund external air medical R&D projects
- Twirly Birds annual meeting to be held during HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- Airbus displays its customer-centric solutions at Heli-Expo 2020
- HAI Foundation Online Auction Is Now Open
- FAA Administrator to Attend HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- EHA launches European Rotors event to rival Vertical Flight Expo
- StandardAero makes component repair acquisition in Europe
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO