Helicopter operators flying popular EC130/H130 series aircraft now have further access to the newest technology in main battery solutions.
Vertical Flight Solutions by EuroTec has received validation of its Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for its kit incorporating True Blue Power’s TB17 (17 amp-hour) Advanced Lithium-ion Battery into Airbus EC130/H130 helicopters.
The company reports it will pursue European EASA and other approvals for the battery kit, further expanding access to this exciting technology.
Key features of this innovative integration and power solution include ultra-light weight, straightforward install including NVIS compatible cockpit switch/annunciator, less maintenance and overall reduced life-cycle operating costs compared with traditional lead acid and Ni-Cad batteries.
A simplified two-year maintenance regimen is an advantage in comparison to the typical six-month OEM battery.
“We continue to be excited to work with True Blue Power to offer a main ship battery solution utilizing their proven Lithium-ion technology, representing the next generation of aircraft batteries,” states Adam Boyko, EuroTec’s Avionics and Design Manager.
The batteries are lighter, more powerful and feature ‘smart pack technology’ which senses voltage, current, temperature and incorporates a health monitoring system.
Integrated heating technology enhances cold weather starting reliability, and intelligent battery monitoring is accomplished with standard cockpit indication feature.
“Thousands of True Blue Power lithium-ion batteries have been delivered to customers around the globe,” said Erik Ritzman, Director of True Blue Power. “Proprietary Nanophosphate® lithium-ion cell chemistry delivers a superior, high-performance product that is significantly smaller and lighter than competing batteries.”
Thanks to this design, True Blue Power batteries also provide increased power during start sequences, with higher nominal output voltage.
The built-in heater is a key benefit for cold weather operators; press the cockpit switch during pre-flight and the battery readies itself for operation.
“This FAA STC validation brings trusted, leading lithium-ion battery solutions to a key operator group,” states EuroTec Director of Sales and Business Development Paul Ross Jr. “We look forward to helping solve the power and budget challenges faced daily by air medical, tour and VIP operators.”
EuroTec also stated Vertical Flight Solutions is in design and development phase of integrating high-capacity True Blue Power Advanced Lithium-ion Batteries into the Airbus AS350 series and H135 series helicopters as well as other commercial helicopter models.
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award