Offshore union RMT repeats call for public inquiry into helicopter safety on 10th anniversary of Super Puma disaster
Offshore union RMT today repeated the call for a full public inquiry into helicopter safety in the North Sea as workers from across the industry mark the anniversary of the Super Puma tragedy that alerted the nation to the dangerous working environment of the offshore workforce.
Today – 1st April 2019 – is the 10th anniversary of the fatal helicopter accident off Peterhead, in which all fourteen offshore workers and two crew onboard were killed.
They were traveling from the Miller Oil Platform to Aberdeen in an AS332 L2 Super Puma model which experienced catastrophic failure of the main rotor gear box – very similar to the causes of two ditchings and the fatal accident off Norway on 29 April 2016.
RMT sends condolences to the families, friends and colleagues affected, especially as they were forced to endure a Fatal Accident Inquiry process which took nearly five years and achieved next to nothing in the way of justice or meaningful lessons.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“On the 10th Anniversary of the Super Puma disaster off Peterhead that cost 16 workers their lives our thoughts are with the families, colleagues and friends affected by the tragedy.
“Offshore workers remain angry that despite a five-year Fatal Accident Inquiry process we still await justice, meaningful changes and the public inquiry into helicopter safety in the North Sea that has long been our central demand.
“Meanwhile confidence in the safety of offshore helicopter transport has declined as we continue to see commercial pressures on standards in a culture of cost-cutting.
“On this grim anniversary for the industry the union pledges to step up the fight for North Sea helicopter safety, a public inquiry and lasting changes to regulatory standards that are the best way to restore offshore workers’ confidence.”
- Rostec to show Ansat at Paris Air Show 2019
- SH09 third prototype flies higher and faster in Sicily
- Experts spell out actions for safety excellence
- Dallas Airmotive joins MRO Insider’s Network of Maintenance Providers
- Sundance Helicopters Partners with Hillsboro Heli Academy
- Devon Air Ambulance pilot elected to prestigious flight safety post
- Speakers for 10th Anniversary Aeromedical Conference
- EU wide rules on drones published
- VIKING secures offshore helicopter PPE contract
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Communications Director
- Boeing Awarded $194M Contract for MH-47G Procurement
- 30 years of Christoph 51 in service
- Airbus to mark 50 years of pioneering achievements at Paris Air Show 2019
- US Navy Reservist Takes Helm of Helicopter Training Squadron 8
- Workhorse Group Secures Financing
- VFS Expands Support to eVTOL
- Specialist Aviation Services welcomes new CEO
- Nakanihon Air Service takes delivery of 20th H135
- Air Methods Added to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama’s Air Ambulance Network
- GHS announces Red Cross contract in Nigeria