A generous $50,000 gift from The Boeing Company, in addition to several donations from individual WAI members, during the recent 30th Annual International Women in Aviation Conference in Long Beach, California, has helped the organization to reach its goal of $1 million in its Endowment Fund.
The fund enables WAI to expand the 2020 scholarship program, which will be available online July 1, 2019 (for which applications are due November 12, 2019). At the WAI 2019 conference, 156 scholarships were distributed to WAI members at every stage of life for academic use, lifestyle enhancement, and flight training including type ratings. A total of $875,065 in scholarships was awarded putting the total scholarships awarded since 1995 to more than $12 million.
Youth outreach programs organized by WAI, including the annual international Girls in Aviation Day, will also benefit from the growth of the Endowment Fund. Since Girls in Aviation Day started in 2015, every year the attendance and number of worldwide events has doubled with Girls in Aviation Day 2018 totaling 15,200 attendees and 102 events. On October 5, 2019, WAI expects both the number of girls, age 8-17, and events to expand again with the demand for more STEM events focused on attracting more females to the aviation and aerospace industry.
“The generous donation from The Boeing Company, and our membership, will be used to create new scholarships in a variety of aviation and aerospace careers opening the doors for numerous WAI members to pursue their dreams,” says WAI President Dr. Peggy Chabrian. “We are grateful for this forward-looking gift which allows us to increase our scholarship offerings and Girls in Aviation Day programs this year, and in years to come.”
- Alouette III helicopter celebrates 57 years in the service of the Air Force
- SUU and Chuck Aaron Partner in Helicopter Upset Training
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22
- Bell wins $8M contract with Bahrain for AH-1Z flight training device
- Safran to support Dutch Cougar engines
- Consultation under way for Sydney CBD helipad
- US Navy receives first fleet CMV-22B
- Three new helicopters for police in Republika Srpska
- Morocco Orders 24 Boeing AH-64E Apache Helicopters
- Airbus adds 250 helicopters to HCare Smart and Infinite contracts