A generous $50,000 gift from The Boeing Company, in addition to several donations from individual WAI members, during the recent 30th Annual International Women in Aviation Conference in Long Beach, California, has helped the organization to reach its goal of $1 million in its Endowment Fund.
The fund enables WAI to expand the 2020 scholarship program, which will be available online July 1, 2019 (for which applications are due November 12, 2019). At the WAI 2019 conference, 156 scholarships were distributed to WAI members at every stage of life for academic use, lifestyle enhancement, and flight training including type ratings. A total of $875,065 in scholarships was awarded putting the total scholarships awarded since 1995 to more than $12 million.
Youth outreach programs organized by WAI, including the annual international Girls in Aviation Day, will also benefit from the growth of the Endowment Fund. Since Girls in Aviation Day started in 2015, every year the attendance and number of worldwide events has doubled with Girls in Aviation Day 2018 totaling 15,200 attendees and 102 events. On October 5, 2019, WAI expects both the number of girls, age 8-17, and events to expand again with the demand for more STEM events focused on attracting more females to the aviation and aerospace industry.
“The generous donation from The Boeing Company, and our membership, will be used to create new scholarships in a variety of aviation and aerospace careers opening the doors for numerous WAI members to pursue their dreams,” says WAI President Dr. Peggy Chabrian. “We are grateful for this forward-looking gift which allows us to increase our scholarship offerings and Girls in Aviation Day programs this year, and in years to come.”
- Heli-One appoints New VP H1 Operations
- DRF Luftrettung receives EURAMI certification
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Winner of 2019 Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award
- WJZ-CBS Baltimore Adds Robinson R66 Newscopter
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- Star Navigation Announces MEDEVAC Agreement with Airmedic Inc.
- Airbus makes changes to its Executive Committee
- 13th Annual Electric Aircraft Symposium Lands in Oshkosh
- USHST Perceives a Deadly Trend for the Helicopter Industry
- Ipswich Hospital helipad marks first anniversary
- Meghalaya State Government to extend helicopter service?
- London’s Air Ambulance treats 40,000th patient
- HAL seeks private investment to expand Dhruv production
- NHV Expands Executive Team
- LCI Helicopters closes new $75M financing from CaixaBank
- Mi-38 successfully passed testing in extreme conditions
- The high altitude flight campaign of the new H145 starts in Chile
- Korean CAA approves AW109 simulator
- Airbus Helicopters, Inc. and head of North America region appointments
- Sikorsky Awarded $22M Contract for CH-53K Support