Members of Teamsters Local 1150 won a competition at the Ergo Cup in New Orleans. The workers are responsible for manufacturing helicopters for Sikorsky Aircraft, a subsidiary of the Lockheed Martin Corporation.
The Ergo Cup takes place at the Applied Ergonomics Conference, a national convention geared towards showcasing the latest developments in the field of optimizing workplace efficiency. The competition took place on March 28 of this year, with the Sikorsky members winning the “Team-Driven Workplace Solution for Teams with Internal Competition” category for their Sikorsky CH-53K Harness Hooks and Spook Installation.
The installation is a series of magnetic hooks on the inside of a CH-53K helicopter that allows the workers to hold a wire harness in place. Previously, the workers had to carry the harnesses on their shoulders, a process that had a greater risk for on-the-job injuries. Not only do the hooks for the wire harness make the process safer, they also make what used to be a nine-person job a two-person job, thus increasing workplace efficiency. Watch a video of the installation here.
“We would have to walk in [to the helicopter] with nine guys, we would have to hold the equipment over our heads, and then we would have to wait for another guy to come and zip-tie it in,” Local 1150 Member Leonard Duffus said. “You’re holding your hands over your head for longer than two, three minutes and the temperature is over 90 degrees, it could be painful after a while of doing that. The hooks eliminated the guy having to come through with a zip tie, and it also made it so we don’t have to hold the harness up over our heads.”
In addition to Leonard Duffus, Anthony Alfonso Jr., Charlie Pitsch, and John Mencucci were Sikorsky workers also who represented the company at the competition. Congratulations to all of the Local 1150 members who won at this year’s Ergo Cup!
- Q1 production analysis – Airbus rises while every other OEM falls
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- Penn College aviation students receive industry scholarships
- EHang wins approval for autonomous air logistics operations
- Genesys flight testing their avionics suite on Black Hawks
- Pulselite® Bird Strike Prevention System STC Expanded to Include Bell 429 and Bell 505
- EBAA to provide members with live aviation security alerts from Osprey
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- Babcock Selects Bell 429 for Australian Special Forces bid
- UKMFTS program adds first of four additional Airbus H145s
- ACC Aviation Partners with AeroMedical
- Wings Air Helicopters offers free flights for healthcare professionals
- Wingcopter is one of 9 winners of German Government’s €24M hackathon
- Leonardo AW159 Wildcat conducts first successful firings of Thales ‘Martlet’ LMM
- Swiss training solution company VRM completes second funding round
- Christoph 49 celebrates 20 years of takeover by the DRF Luftrettung
- Intrinsic Aviation announces JV with Arena Investors
- COVID19 – CHC cancels 2020 Safety & Quality Summit
- COVID19 – Scottish island to receive pandemic test kits by drone
- COVID19 – EpiShuttle arrives in France for evaluation