This year marks a special anniversary for both Bell and Bell Independent Representative, National Airways Corporation (NAC). Thirty years ago, in 1989, we teamed up to offer helicopter solutions to go above and beyond flight in the southern part of Africa.
One of the most prominent markets on the African continent is South Africa. With 225 Bell aircraft in operation in the country alone, the demand for vertical lift solutions has been high, particularly for light single-engine aircraft. This success is due to the outstanding collaboration between Bell and NAC and the combination of advanced vertical lift aircraft with award winning local support, training and expertise.
Established in 1946, NAC offers a full range of aviation products and services, including new and pre-owned sales, maintenance, parts, charter flights, international operations, air ambulance services, aircraft leasing and pilot, technical and air traffic control training. NAC is based at Lanseria International Airport in Johannesburg and operates a South African network.
Since 1989, we have achieved many milestones, including:
1989 – NAC becomes Bell, Independent Representative
1993 – First Bell 230 delivered to Amplats
1997 – Bell 430 delivery to Amplats
1996 – Bell 407 enters southern African market
2016 – Corporate customer purchases first Bell 429 at AAD airshow
2018 – First Bell 505 delivery into southern Africa.
2018 – NAC celebrates grand opening of new state-of-the-art Heliport facility
Today – NAC Helicopter Operations supports anti-poaching efforts with a Bell 407 in Chinko, Central African Republic
During a private ceremony this week, we celebrated our past, present and future in southern Africa.
“At NAC, we pride ourselves on the long-term relationships we build with partners, suppliers and customers. Our partnership with Bell is one of which we are extremely proud and we are thrilled to have maintained great momentum for the brand over three decades. With Bell’s market leading product range, we will continue to grow their share even further, backing it up with world class support through our Bell Customer Service Facility at Rand Airport. We look forward to another 30 years of success together.” Martin Banner, chief executive officer, National Airways Corporation
“We are very pleased to be celebrating this major milestone at NAC’s new heliport facility located in Midrand. There is immense potential in Africa and it’s with great allies like NAC, that we will continue to bring advanced technologies that will truly make a difference to the continent and its people.” Sameer Rehman, managing director for Africa and the Middle East
With new commercial aircraft entering the market such the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X and the Bell 525, there are exciting times ahead for operators in Africa. We look forward to a bright future on the second largest continent in the world
- New General Manager for Airbus Helicopters in Italy
- Summit Aviation extends MQ-8C Fire Scout contract
- MRO Insider Unveils AOG Mobile Application Preview for NBAA-BACE
- Leonardo delivers its 1,000th AW139 helicopter
- JETNET Launching JETNET for Salesforce product at NBAA-BACE
- LO Helicopter Committee Enthusiastic about Bell 525
- EHang Achieves World’s First Certificate of Unmanned Aircraft System Safety for AAVs
- Schiebel completes successful flight trials in Finland
- Candian 2019 Paramedic of the Year title won by STARS crew member
- 21 stakeholders sign Single European Sky agreement
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance to add second base at Aberdeen
- Elbit Systems completes acquisition of Harris Night Vision Business
- MDHI Awarded CLS and training contract
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Helipad receives £562,500 boos
- FlightSafety now offers safety and security training for corporate crews and passengers
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance missions up 62% year-on-year
- Airbus Foundation supports Bolivian efforts to fight fires in Amazon
- Students STEP into the Future with Bell
- Luton Airport to provide free fuel to Children’s Air Ambulance
- Omni signs 24 month contract with Constellation Oil