Safran introduces Add+, an engine technological demonstrator with 30 % of its components made using additive manufacturing (3D-printed) techniques. The result of a partnership between several Safran companies, Add+ will enable 3D-printed parts to be used in Group production engines. Development started in early 2018 and assembly is now in progress. The demonstrator will be ground-run next autumn.
Etienne Hesse, R&T Project Manager and Add+ program coordinator at Safran Helicopter Engines says, “Add+ brings together additive manufacturing expertise from across the Safran group. We started work on an existing engine model and redesigned almost 30 % of its components using additive manufacturing techniques, with a view to integrating those components into serial production units. When we start ground runs, we will evaluate behavior of these new parts in operation”.
Based on an Arrius helicopter engine, Add+ evaluate major components made using Selective Laser Melting (SLM) techniques.
Since early 2018, experts have been working together at Safran’s facility in Bordes (Pyrénées-Atlantiques). Add+ makes use of additive manufacturing capabilities at Bordes, Saclay (Essonne) and Corbeil (Essonne).
- Greece – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- AE Industrial Partners to Acquire Columbia Helicopters
- Kaman Opens New Helicopter Customer Service Center
- Airbus develops its presence in Italy
- AAR awarded four-year MRO contract with Royal Netherlands Air Force
- TH-119 obtains FAA IFR certification
- Advanced Technology Systems Co. Awarded $18M Contract for Helicopter Maintenance
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award
- Leonardo Helicopters picks workwear supplier for Yeovil production plant
- HAI Hires New Director of Government Affairs
- Heli-Parts Nevada acquired by Salus Aviation