HeliOffshore’s Helideck Work Group has prepared a report to highlight the top five safety events associated with helideck operations based on analysis of frontline data.
The analysis was collected from data provided by CHC Helicopter, BP and Chevron and sampled nearly 1000 events between 2016 and 2018. After identifying the top five issues, the group will be asking member companies to share their lessons learned and success stories from these areas and, as necessary, develop new practices.
The Helideck Work Group, which includes representatives from Oil & Gas companies, helicopter operators, industry associations and regulators, started meeting in October 2018 with the objective to review, define and standardise helideck safety opportunities in the areas mentioned below:
1. Helideck management;
2. Helideck inspections;
3. SIMOPS (Multiple helicopters operating to/from helidecks in close proximity and/or the same helideck simultaneously and /or other vessels (bar the safety vessel) and operations ongoing within the 500m zone);
4. Pitch/roll and heave limits; and
5. Helideck design and obstacles.
The group is now taking steps to expand HeliOffshore’s established Infoshare portal for confidentially reporting safety events among member companies to include helideck incidents whilst actively encouraging the continued reporting of helideck events, potential events and examples of good practice within member’s safety management systems. It is by people on the frontline – helideck crews; flight crews; etc. – highlighting this information that allowed the working group to focus on the areas that can provide the biggest safety impact and continually drive industry improvement.
All HeliOffshore members are committed to developing solutions to address the issues identified.
- MRO Insider Unveils AOG Mobile Application Preview for NBAA-BACE
- Leonardo delivers its 1,000th AW139 helicopter
- JETNET Launching JETNET for Salesforce product at NBAA-BACE
- LO Helicopter Committee Enthusiastic about Bell 525
- EHang Achieves World’s First Certificate of Unmanned Aircraft System Safety for AAVs
- Schiebel completes successful flight trials
- Candian 2019 Paramedic of the Year title won by STARS crew member
- 21 stakeholders sign Single European Sky agreement
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance to add second base at Aberdeen
- Elbit Systems completes acquisition of Harris Night Vision Business
- MDHI Awarded CLS and training contract
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Helipad receives £562,500 boos
- FlightSafety now offers safety and security training for corporate crews and passengers
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance missions up 62% year-on-year
- Airbus Foundation supports Bolivian efforts to fight fires in Amazon
- Students STEP into the Future with Bell
- Luton Airport to provide free fuel to Children’s Air Ambulance
- Omni signs 24 month contract with Constellation Oil
- Metro Aviation takes delivery of first Airbus EC145e
- Mecaer Delivers Bell 505 MAGnificent