Leonardo announced that the new generation AW169 light intermediate helicopter is set to be introduced into offshore operations in Africa with Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia. The aircraft, now delivered from Leonardo’s facility in Vergiate, Italy, will support the offshore oil & gas industry in Equatorial Guinea.
Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia is the world’s first customer to introduce the entire AWFamily range of products – AW169, AW139, AW189 – into operations. This places Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia in a unique, leading position to deliver its customers unprecedented levels of mission versatility, fleet management efficiency, state-of-the-art technology and capabilities.
“The partnership between Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia and Leonardo has been a key factor in Weststar’s overseas business expansion. The AW169, AW139 and AW189 are the most successful new generation models in their class worldwide, and the most demanded helicopter types in the oil & gas industry” said Tan Sri Dr. Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Group Managing Director of The Weststar Group.
Since its establishment in 2003, Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia has grown to become one of the global key players in the offshore helicopter industry. To date, Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia operates over 35 AW139, AW169 and AW189 helicopters out of its bases in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia, becoming one of the largest commercial operators of Leonardo helicopters. There are now nearly 60 Leonardo helicopters in Malaysia, and a regional Customer Support and Training hub at Subang Airport near Kuala Lumpur. Leonardo plans to increase its presence even further in the future by expanding the services offered. In Asia the AWFamily of new generation helicopters has found success for a number of missions including offshore transport, VIP/passenger transport, EMS/SAR, disaster relief, firefighting, law enforcement, utility and electronic news gathering.
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- Alouette III helicopter celebrates 57 years with Portuguese Air Force
- SUU and Chuck Aaron Partner in Helicopter Upset Training
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Police Aviation News – July 2020 Edition
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22
- Bell wins $8M contract with Bahrain for AH-1Z flight training device
- Safran to support Dutch Cougar engines
- Consultation under way for Sydney CBD helipad
- US Navy receives first fleet CMV-22B
- Three new helicopters for police in Republika Srpska