Leonardo announced that the new generation AW169 light intermediate helicopter is set to be introduced into offshore operations in Africa with Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia. The aircraft, now delivered from Leonardo’s facility in Vergiate, Italy, will support the offshore oil & gas industry in Equatorial Guinea.
Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia is the world’s first customer to introduce the entire AWFamily range of products – AW169, AW139, AW189 – into operations. This places Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia in a unique, leading position to deliver its customers unprecedented levels of mission versatility, fleet management efficiency, state-of-the-art technology and capabilities.
“The partnership between Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia and Leonardo has been a key factor in Weststar’s overseas business expansion. The AW169, AW139 and AW189 are the most successful new generation models in their class worldwide, and the most demanded helicopter types in the oil & gas industry” said Tan Sri Dr. Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Group Managing Director of The Weststar Group.
Since its establishment in 2003, Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia has grown to become one of the global key players in the offshore helicopter industry. To date, Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia operates over 35 AW139, AW169 and AW189 helicopters out of its bases in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia, becoming one of the largest commercial operators of Leonardo helicopters. There are now nearly 60 Leonardo helicopters in Malaysia, and a regional Customer Support and Training hub at Subang Airport near Kuala Lumpur. Leonardo plans to increase its presence even further in the future by expanding the services offered. In Asia the AWFamily of new generation helicopters has found success for a number of missions including offshore transport, VIP/passenger transport, EMS/SAR, disaster relief, firefighting, law enforcement, utility and electronic news gathering.
- DRF Luftrettung promotes research by Unimedizin Greifswald
- Guardian Mobility teases its dual mode flight tracking system
- CHC and USC to Offer Aviation Safety Certificate
- Greece – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- AE Industrial Partners to Acquire Columbia Helicopters
- Kaman Opens New Helicopter Customer Service Center
- Airbus develops its presence in Italy
- AAR awarded four-year MRO contract with Royal Netherlands Air Force
- TH-119 obtains FAA IFR certification
- Advanced Technology Systems Co. Awarded $18M Contract for Helicopter Maintenance
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award