Leonardo announced that the new generation AW169 light intermediate helicopter is set to be introduced into offshore operations in Africa with Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia. The aircraft, now delivered from Leonardo’s facility in Vergiate, Italy, will support the offshore oil & gas industry in Equatorial Guinea.
Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia is the world’s first customer to introduce the entire AWFamily range of products – AW169, AW139, AW189 – into operations. This places Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia in a unique, leading position to deliver its customers unprecedented levels of mission versatility, fleet management efficiency, state-of-the-art technology and capabilities.
“The partnership between Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia and Leonardo has been a key factor in Weststar’s overseas business expansion. The AW169, AW139 and AW189 are the most successful new generation models in their class worldwide, and the most demanded helicopter types in the oil & gas industry” said Tan Sri Dr. Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Group Managing Director of The Weststar Group.
Since its establishment in 2003, Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia has grown to become one of the global key players in the offshore helicopter industry. To date, Weststar Aviation Services Malaysia operates over 35 AW139, AW169 and AW189 helicopters out of its bases in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia, becoming one of the largest commercial operators of Leonardo helicopters. There are now nearly 60 Leonardo helicopters in Malaysia, and a regional Customer Support and Training hub at Subang Airport near Kuala Lumpur. Leonardo plans to increase its presence even further in the future by expanding the services offered. In Asia the AWFamily of new generation helicopters has found success for a number of missions including offshore transport, VIP/passenger transport, EMS/SAR, disaster relief, firefighting, law enforcement, utility and electronic news gathering.
- HeliRussia postponed to the autumn
- RAF Helicopters Support Scottish Ambulance Service Trials
- TH-119 Certification Team Wins Harry T. Jensen Award
- Japan Coast Guard orders two more H225
- Rescue helicopter ‘Juliet’ retires from Northland fleet
- US Navy grant to fund AnalySwift research to improve helicopter service life
- COVID-19 – Helijet offers free flights for healthcare workers
- Bell 360 Invictus chosen for US Army Scout Rotorcraft Competition
- Airbus-funded helicopter booking platform Voom ceases operations
- VFS 2020 Annual Awards announcements
- COVID-19 – Australian Rotortech event postponed to October
- USHST Infrastructure Working Group Completes 6th Annual Helicopter Infrastructure Summit
- FAA certifies Onboard Systems dual hook for Bell 206L and 407
- Utah Rotor Pathway Program Receives $1.1 Million Grant
- COVID-19 – Air BP to supply free fuel to a number of air ambulance services in England and Wales
- COVID-19 – EASA processing new aircraft configurations for medical transport at high priority
- HSM-70 Change-of-Command
- FAA Grants NATA Requested Crewmember Relief
- Airbus Helicopters launches RTEX tool to monitor Service Bulletins
- COVID-19 – Omni adapts four aircraft to transport suspected cases of COVID-19