Soldiers of the 1st Combat Aviation Brigade, 1st Infantry Division gathered on a cool summer day at Illesheim Army Airfield to honor the career of their commander, and one of the Army’s senior aviators.
Col. Chris Black, who piloted his first flight in 1994, conducted his final flight today as an Army aviator.
As he landed his UH-60 Black Hawk for the final time, the aircraft taxiied through an arch of water produced by two of the airfield’s fire engines. Moving through the water arch is an aviation tradition, symbolizing a pilot’s final successful flight.
Once the engine was shut down, Black exited the aircraft and was greeted by fellow aviators and Soldiers of the 1st Combat Aviation Brigade. He was then “hosed down” in the manner of aviation tradition. After a few congratulatory hugs and handshakes, Black addressed the Soldiers under his command.
“I started flight school in 1994 and have done some incredible things in that helicopter,” Black told the crowd of Soldiers. “I’ve flown in 27 different countries and with some outstanding pilots.” He went on to say, “Thanks to the whole enterprise, you’ve kept me safe and kept me alive.”
When asked how he felt about his final flight, Black responded, “It just kind of hit me this morning. As I was getting closer and closer to the aircraft, I started getting a little bit misty eyed remembering all the memories I’ve had in that aircraft. It’s very special.”
Black will conclude his time as Commander of the 1st Aviation Brigade, 1st Infantry Division on Friday, July 19. Following this assignment, he will take a position in U.S. Army Forces Command, Fort Bragg, NC.
- Boost Human External Cargo Systems Exhibiting at HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- eVTOL manufacturer Joby Aviation raises $590 Million
- Helicopter Foundation International changes name
- Bristow Supports Republic of Singapore Air Force, Australia Bushfire Relief Operations
- Genesys Aerosystems Offers New Line of Digital Radios
- Bristow to merge with Era Helicopters
- AirX proposes new tourist flights from Tokyo Heliport
- Elbit Systems Successfully Demonstrates High-Altitude High-Precision Aerial Firefighting Solution
- PS Engineering announces PAC45 with dual control head – PAC45D
- DRF Foundation to fund external air medical R&D projects
- Twirly Birds annual meeting to be held during HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- Airbus displays its customer-centric solutions at Heli-Expo 2020
- HAI Foundation Online Auction Is Now Open
- FAA Administrator to Attend HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- EHA launches European Rotors event to rival Vertical Flight Expo
- StandardAero makes component repair acquisition in Europe
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO