Soldiers of the 1st Combat Aviation Brigade, 1st Infantry Division gathered on a cool summer day at Illesheim Army Airfield to honor the career of their commander, and one of the Army’s senior aviators.
Col. Chris Black, who piloted his first flight in 1994, conducted his final flight today as an Army aviator.
As he landed his UH-60 Black Hawk for the final time, the aircraft taxiied through an arch of water produced by two of the airfield’s fire engines. Moving through the water arch is an aviation tradition, symbolizing a pilot’s final successful flight.
Once the engine was shut down, Black exited the aircraft and was greeted by fellow aviators and Soldiers of the 1st Combat Aviation Brigade. He was then “hosed down” in the manner of aviation tradition. After a few congratulatory hugs and handshakes, Black addressed the Soldiers under his command.
“I started flight school in 1994 and have done some incredible things in that helicopter,” Black told the crowd of Soldiers. “I’ve flown in 27 different countries and with some outstanding pilots.” He went on to say, “Thanks to the whole enterprise, you’ve kept me safe and kept me alive.”
When asked how he felt about his final flight, Black responded, “It just kind of hit me this morning. As I was getting closer and closer to the aircraft, I started getting a little bit misty eyed remembering all the memories I’ve had in that aircraft. It’s very special.”
Black will conclude his time as Commander of the 1st Aviation Brigade, 1st Infantry Division on Friday, July 19. Following this assignment, he will take a position in U.S. Army Forces Command, Fort Bragg, NC.
- StandardAero Completes Consolidation of Helicopter Centers of Excellence
- US EMS Operator contracts for first IFR-certified AW119
- HTM Helicopter Travel Munich appoints new Managing Director
- US approves sale of eight MV-22s Ospreys to Indonesia
- Airbus facilitates first e-delivery in Asia Pacific
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Schiebel Camcopter to fly Coast Guard ops in Finland, Sweden and Estonia
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- Alouette III helicopter celebrates 57 years with Portuguese Air Force
- SUU and Chuck Aaron Partner in Helicopter Upset Training
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Police Aviation News – July 2020 Edition
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work