On July 1st, television station WJZ of Baltimore, Maryland took delivery of a new Robinson R66 Newscopter. Owned and operated by CBS, WJZ services the 2.8 million residents in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
SKY Helicopters, a longtime Robinson dealer in Garland, Texas, leased the helicopter to WJZ and will provide on-going aviation and technical support. According to Ken Pyatt, President of Sky Helicopters, WJZ has been operating a Robinson R44 Newscopter since early 2019. Impressed with the R44’s performance and reliability, the station elected to move-up to the larger, more powerful R66 Newscopter.
The R66 was delivered with the latest ENG (Electric News Gathering) technology including an upgraded stabilized gimbal that houses an Ikegami HDL-F3000 Ultra Low-light camera equipped with Canon’s HJ 40x10B lens, three 2-way FM radios, and a microwave system with a high gain directional pod. Other options included a HeliSAS Autopilot.
Robinson’s R66 Newscopter is an economical, turn-key aerial platform capable of providing three hours of continuous live TV coverage.
Founded in 1973, Robinson Helicopter Company is the world’s leading manufacturer of civil helicopters. For additional information go to www.robinsonheli.com.
- Australia – CASA appoints acting CEO
- Nigerian AF partners with Caverton Helicopters for maintenance
- Container Research Corp wins V-22 aux tank contract
- Naval Supply Systems Command addresses V-22 supply concern
- Australia to replace Tiger with AH-64E
- GAO reports on Washington DC area helicopter noise concerns
- HAI addresses pandemic worries about holding Heli-Expo 2021
- First flight for Airbus H160 for All Nippon Helicopter
- UK AAIB Bulletin – January 2021
- NTSB announces public board meeting on Kobe Bryant S76 accident
- General Electric Aviation awarded $101M contract for support of CH-53K
- Second Nigerian Air Force Mi-171E inducted
- RACQ CQ Rescue publishes 2020 mission stats
- LifeNet Partners with Columbus Community Hospital to Provide Air Medical Services
- US Army requests funding for Rescue Litter Stabilization System
- Bell Certifies New Helicopter Flight Data Monitoring Device
- Bristow appoints Area Manager in Brazil
- Updated Bucher EMS interior approved by EASA on H135
- The Loar Group Announces the Acquisition of Safe Flight Instrument Corporation
- Electric VTOL Aircraft Developments Advancing Despite Pandemic