On July 1st, television station WJZ of Baltimore, Maryland took delivery of a new Robinson R66 Newscopter. Owned and operated by CBS, WJZ services the 2.8 million residents in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
SKY Helicopters, a longtime Robinson dealer in Garland, Texas, leased the helicopter to WJZ and will provide on-going aviation and technical support. According to Ken Pyatt, President of Sky Helicopters, WJZ has been operating a Robinson R44 Newscopter since early 2019. Impressed with the R44’s performance and reliability, the station elected to move-up to the larger, more powerful R66 Newscopter.
The R66 was delivered with the latest ENG (Electric News Gathering) technology including an upgraded stabilized gimbal that houses an Ikegami HDL-F3000 Ultra Low-light camera equipped with Canon’s HJ 40x10B lens, three 2-way FM radios, and a microwave system with a high gain directional pod. Other options included a HeliSAS Autopilot.
Robinson’s R66 Newscopter is an economical, turn-key aerial platform capable of providing three hours of continuous live TV coverage.
Founded in 1973, Robinson Helicopter Company is the world’s leading manufacturer of civil helicopters. For additional information go to www.robinsonheli.com.
- SAFE to distribute M2 ERFS Tank Shoring System for CH-47
- COVID-19 – HAI applauds Congressional Action on pandemic relief
- General Electric awarded $11M extra for Presidential V-92 contract
- COVID19 – Bristow repurposes three ex-Coast Guard S92s for Corona virus transport
- COVID-19 – EBAA partners with Osprey Flight Solutions
- Bell awarded $815M contract for UH-1Y and AH-1Z repairs and upgrades
- COVID-19 – Aerial Firefighters adjust to the pandemic
- UT Health East Texas welcomes third rebranded EC135
- Leonardo extends training capabilities to rotorcraft UAS
- CBE+ has been selected by OEM Leonardo
- COVID-19 – AOPA backs emergency airport funding to fight coronavirus impact
- Queensland Police Bo105 passes 10,000 hours
- RACQ LifeFlight open new aeromedical base at Bundaberg
- COVID-19 – Italian Air Force HH-101A used for bioncontainment transport
- Optima Aero becomes a Transport Canada Approved Maintenance Organisation
- COVID-19 – Rotorcorp COVID-19 Virus Status & Response
- Helitech World Expo (ex Vertical Flight Expo) picks April 2021 dates
- COVID-19 – British helicopter industry steps up – but still needs more help
- Maryland State Police mark 50 years of medevac flights
- Shady Cove airport opens new helipad