On July 1st, television station WJZ of Baltimore, Maryland took delivery of a new Robinson R66 Newscopter. Owned and operated by CBS, WJZ services the 2.8 million residents in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
SKY Helicopters, a longtime Robinson dealer in Garland, Texas, leased the helicopter to WJZ and will provide on-going aviation and technical support. According to Ken Pyatt, President of Sky Helicopters, WJZ has been operating a Robinson R44 Newscopter since early 2019. Impressed with the R44’s performance and reliability, the station elected to move-up to the larger, more powerful R66 Newscopter.
The R66 was delivered with the latest ENG (Electric News Gathering) technology including an upgraded stabilized gimbal that houses an Ikegami HDL-F3000 Ultra Low-light camera equipped with Canon’s HJ 40x10B lens, three 2-way FM radios, and a microwave system with a high gain directional pod. Other options included a HeliSAS Autopilot.
Robinson’s R66 Newscopter is an economical, turn-key aerial platform capable of providing three hours of continuous live TV coverage.
Founded in 1973, Robinson Helicopter Company is the world’s leading manufacturer of civil helicopters. For additional information go to www.robinsonheli.com.
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22
- Bell wins $8M contract with Bahrain for AH-1Z flight training device
- Safran to support Dutch Cougar engines
- Consultation under way for Sydney CBD helipad
- US Navy receives first fleet CMV-22B
- Three new helicopters for police in Republika Srpska
- Morocco Orders 24 Boeing AH-64E Apache Helicopters
- Airbus adds 250 helicopters to HCare Smart and Infinite contracts
- Akima Awarded task order for helicopter maintenance at Fairchild AFB
- Gardner Standard Announces the Acquisition of Shadin Avionics