Many STARS supporters across Saskatchewan received some exciting news following the final draws of the 2019 STARS lottery yesterday.
Mossbank resident Gary Woit was visiting neighbours when he received the call from an enthusiastic room of STARS crew and a former patient telling him he’d won the $1.5 million Saskatoon area grand prize show home. “You’re kidding!” he said. “You hope to win a smaller prize, but I never thought I’d win a big one!”
Wally Penner of Saskatoon was taken aback when he was informed that he’d won the Lucky STARS 50/50 draw — with a payout of $875,000 cash. “That’s amazing,” he said. “That sure made my day!”
Penner said he has purchased STARS lottery tickets for many years. “Supporting STARS is always a good thing because it helps so many people,” he said.
Fred Matiko, lottery lead for the STARS Foundation said the final draws are one of his favourite days of the year at STARS.
“It’s a great pleasure to make these often life-changing calls to the lottery winners,” said Matiko. “And it’s an honour to thank the winners for their support of our lottery, which is our largest fundraiser of the year and critical to the operation of our service for the people of the province.”
Cindy Seidl, provincial director, Saskatchewan operations also made some of those memorable phone calls Thursday morning at the STARS Saskatoon base.
“Thanks to our strong supporters in the community, the STARSLottery Saskatchewan once again was 100 per cent sold,” said Seidl. “Everyone who buys a ticket joins our fight to save lives. By supporting the STARS lottery for the past eight years, you have continued to fuel our passion and innovation as we deliver vital care to critically ill and injured people across Saskatchewan.”
The lottery finished strong, selling out nine days prior to the July 18 deadline. It raised approximately $2.5 million net for the non-profit, with 2,016 prizes worth more than $4.1 million retail.
Top prize winners include:
$1.5 million Saskatoon area show home – Gary Woit, Mossbank
$1.5 million Regina area show home – Cheryl Schnell, Regina
Lucky STARS 50/50, payout of $875,000 cash – Wally Penner, Saskatoon
Early Bird Ultimate Adventure Prize Package: 2019 Jayco Talon 335T fifth wheel toy hauler, 2019 GMC 3500 Crew Cab SLE diesel pickup, two 2018 Sea-Doo GTI SE 130s, move II trailer, two life jackets, 2019 Ski-Doo Summit Sport 600, 2019 Ski-Doo Summit SP 146 600 ETEC SHOT, Titan Trailer and two helmets PLUS $10,000 cash (retail value $257,979) OR $225,000 cash – Blair and Taryl Kalesnikoff, Regina
2019 VW Tiguan OR 2019 GMC Terrain Denali OR $45,000 cash – Pat Holtkamp, Yorkton
2019 Jeep Cherokee North 4×4 OR 2019 Chev Equinox AWD OR $35,000 cash – Richard Rasmussen, Saskatoon
2019 VW Beetle OR 2019 Chev Trax AWD OR $30,000 cash – Mitchell Froyman, Herbert
Sensational Spain, two adults, nine days OR $8,000 travel voucher – Don and Donna Bowes, Kamsack
European Dream, two adults, seven days OR $5,000 travel voucher – Kenina and Don York, Saskatoon
Ultimate Sports Trip, two adults, six days OR $3,500 travel voucher – Brian Zaleschuk, Prince Albert
New York Adventure, two adults, five days OR $3,250 travel voucher – Lyle Craig, Churchbridge
Cuban Comfort, two adults, seven days OR $3,000 travel voucher – Ed and Myrna Wilson, Macrorie
STARS flight for two – Gary and Linda Grant, Saskatoon
STARS flight for two – Betty Hall, Spiritwood
$5,000 cash – Lawrence Drozda, Regina
For general information about the STARS lottery and for a complete list of winners, visit STARSLotterySaskatchewan.ca. The lottery license number is LR18-0113.
- Slovenian Police receive first of two AW169s
- LCI launches 1st helicopter co-investment vehicle
- Life Flight Network and Saint Alphonsus Celebrate 10 Years
- Rostec will offer renewal of South Korean Ka-32 fleet
- Leonardo appoints UI International as Korea distributor
- Safran selects Onsight AR platform for remote customer support
- Japanese Prefectures Place Orders for Bell 412EPI
- Air Methods Relocates Black Hills Life Flight Base to Rapid City
- New York Helicopter Charter files for bankruptcy protection
- Denel helicopters not affected by aerostructures business exit
- Honeywell upgrades power and fuel efficiency on T55 engine for Chinook
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Sikorsky Introduces RAIDER X™
- US Army trialing new helicopter pilot training program
- NFAC tests next-generation military helicopter
- Aero Asset’s Q3 Preowned Helicopter Market Trends show improving conditions
- Sikorsky Showcases New Combat Rescue Helicopter
- UK Helicopter Museum celebrates 30 years
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Bell Appoints China State Grid GA as a Bell429 Authorized Maintenance Center