The United States Helicopter Safety Team (www.USHST.org) is calling for more helicopter safety experts to join their efforts to reduce fatalities in the industry.
Teams of safety experts have been working on 16 active safety enhancements aimed at reducing fatal helicopter accidents. The focus of the safety enhancements include issues such as loss of control inflight, unintended flight into instrument meteorological conditions, and low altitude operations. The USHST also is placing a special emphasis on four industry sectors: personal/private flying, air ambulance operations, commercial flights, and agricultural aerial application. A brief explanation of each active safety enhancement can be found here: http://www.ushst.org/Portals/0/H-SE%20Simple%20List.pdf
The industry-wide efforts are producing some positive results. Looking at three-year time periods between 1985 and today, total accidents and fatal accidents are moving on a downward trend.
Support to strengthen the safety culture is coming from every corner of the helicopter industry. Safety experts from the following organizations are participating in USHST efforts: Air Methods, Bell Helicopter, Boeing Company, Dallas Police Dept., Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Univ., the Federal Aviation Administration, the General Aviation Manufacturers Association, Helicopter Association Intl., the Helicopter Safety Alliance, L3 Technologies, Life Flight of Maine, Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky, the MITRE Corp., the National Transportation Safety Board, Prism Helicopters, and the Robinson Helicopter Co.
The USHST works with its parent organization, the International Helicopter Safety Foundation (www.IHSF.aero), to promote safety and reduce helicopter accidents.
Industry Co-Chair Search
The USHST also has begun a search for an industry co-chair to succeed Raj Helweg, chief pilot of Air Methods, who is nearing completion of his second two-year term as co-chair. Helweg will remain with the USHST Steering Committee. The USHST government co-chair is Wayne Fry, FAA Flight Standards Division Manager for General Aviation Safety Assurance.
- Pulselite installed across Bell Training Academy fleet
- JetNet for Salesforce to be demonstrated at NBAA conference
- Spidertracks announce Blue Hawaiian Helicopters as official launch customer of Spider X
- Blade makes Nino Negri Wine an Official 2020 Partner
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- Japan Airlines completes successful UAV cargo trial
- Can aviation ever be truly green?
- HAI Sadly Announces the Passing of Matthew Zuccaro
- Executive Vice-President Finance appointed at Airbus Helicopters
- Bristow to trial Unmanned systems to help with SAR
- NAVSUP WSS signs $2.3 billion H-60 Seahawk PBL Renewal Contract
- Safran opens new CAP 2020 industrial campus in Tarnos
- New Leonardo facility in São Paulo
- Airbus maintains global market leader position in 2019
- Introducing Leonardo&Codemar S.A., a new joint venture
- WAI Board Aappoints new CEO
- Kopter receives Production Organization Approval from FOCA
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Airbus improves H175 damper & pitch rod maintenance
- Sikorsky receives second contract for six Presidential S92s