Daegu Fire Department in South Korea is shortly to take delivery of a brand-new Leonardo AW169 to strengthen its aerial capacity. The aircraft, serial number 69101, the 101st to be built, is currently undergoing test-flying at Varese-Venegono in Italy with the test marks I-RAIM. It will be registered as HL9649 when it is delivered.
Daegu, formerly known as Taegu, is the fourth-largest city in South Korea with a population of more than 2.5 million. Daegu Fire Department operates from eight locations around the metropolitan area but currently only has one helicopter at its disposal, Eurocopter AS350 B2 Écureuil HL9185 delivered in December 2007. It is anticipated that the AW169 will complement the AS350 in the fleet.
The twin-turbine, 5-tonne, 10-seat AW169 has found favour with operators worldwide in a range of roles since entering service in 2015. It is equipped with a full glass cockpit and four-axis autopilot. The type is widely employed in air ambulance and police roles, but this example will be only the second to be used in the fire-fighting role anywhere in the world, the first being JA35AR, serial number 69080, delivered to Yamaguchi Prefecture Fire-Fighting and Disaster Relief Agency in Japan in May of this year. Standard equipment for the fire-fighting role includes bambi basket, rescue hoist and searchlight.
Three other AW169s are already in service in South Korea, operated by Heli Korea.
- EASA SIB 2020-13 Provision of ground handling services at aerodromes following COVID-19 outbreak
- Lydd SAR base passes 1,000 taskings milestone
- Boeing Receives $265 Million Chinook Helicopter Order
- Churchill Navigation and Shotover Camera Systems Merge
- USAIG expands safety collaboration with Airbus
- Airbus Fleet Master presents uninterrupted data chain
- EHang Launches Intelligent Aerial Firefighting Solution
- VHA Receives TIA on 206B Version 2 Main Rotor Blades
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- Bristow to close two Lousiana bases with 350 job losses, claims union
- Eight Air Evac Lifefteam bases in Arkansas now carry blood
- Malaysian Ministry of Health outsources EMS helicopter service
- Metro Aviation delivers first of two helicopters to HealthNet
- Apollo Air Services to promote Aviation Clean Air purifier units in Europe
- 06-Aug-20 N911EP Hughes OH-6 Chesterfield, US-Missouri
- Kaman Recognized by Sikorsky as Elite Supplier
- Maelstrom AFB opens Helicopter Operations Alert Facility
- EHang to Expand Production Facility
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- HeliSpeed signs SAR support agreement with British International