As the temperature moves downward during October and November in most of the U.S., the number of fatal helicopter accidents usually moves upward according to the United States Helicopter Safety Team (www.USHST.org).
In 2017 and 2018, during these two autumn months, the U.S. helicopter industry experienced 13 fatal accidents, the highest total for a consecutive two-month period during those years. (See the chart below.)
In light of this data, the USHST is asking all helicopter pilots, mechanics, operators and instructors to be especially vigilant during those upcoming 61 days. The data shows that many of the 13 fatal accidents during October and November involved visibility issues, such as controlled flight into terrain or striking an object or wire while flying at a low level. The spike in fatal accidents could stem from the autumn to winter changeable weather and unanticipated visibility problems that occur during October and November.
There also are three segments of the helicopter industry that need to be more cautious during the next two months: Personal/Private pilots, Utilities & Construction operations, and training flights. These segments accounted for 10 of the 13 fatal accidents during October and November.
Over the past three decades, the number of fatal helicopter accidents has been decreasing, but bumps in the road still occur month to month. If we are more aware of them, we can prevent them, and we can save lives.
The USHST is a regional affiliate of the International Helicopter Safety Foundation (www.IHSF.aero). Both organizations work to promote safety and reduce helicopter accidents. For information and criteria on how a helicopter safety expert can join the USHST effort, contact Chris Hill via email at [email protected].
- Elbit Systems Successfully Demonstrates High-Altitude High-Precision Aerial Firefighting Solution
- PS Engineering announces PAC45 with dual control head – PAC45D
- DRF Foundation to fund external air medical R&D projects
- Twirly Birds annual meeting to be held during HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- Airbus displays its customer-centric solutions at Heli-Expo 2020
- HAI Foundation Online Auction Is Now Open
- FAA Administrator to Attend HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- EHA launches European Rotors event to rival Vertical Flight Expo
- StandardAero makes component repair acquisition in Europe
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO
- 2019 mission statistics of the DRF Group
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform