Air Methods, the leading air medical service provider, today announced that it has expanded its partnership with Blue Cross and Blue Shield to provide its Florida Blue plan members with Air Methods’ critical care in the air services at discounted in-network rates.
“This expansion of our agreement with Florida Blue will significantly expand the number of members who will receive our lifesaving services at predictable, in-network rates,” says Chris Myers, executive vice president of reimbursement for Air Methods. “This partnership further reinforces both Air Methods’ and Florida Blue’s commitment to patients’ needs. By offering this critical service as an in-network benefit, we allow members to focus on their recovery instead of bills.”
Meeting the need for increased access to in-network benefits
This latest agreement continues Air Methods’ focus on expanding its in-network partnerships. In-network coverage offers consumers a discounted, out-of-pocket payment for qualified services, which varies depending on their plan’s benefits. Staying in-network for healthcare services can help consumers avoid unexpected spending as well as balanced billing, which is the practice of the healthcare provider billing a patient for the difference between the plan’s reimbursement and the medical charges.
With this expansion, Air Methods now has more than 47 in-network commercial health plans agreements. Today, approximately 70 percent of the population is covered for Air Methods’ services either through commercial insurance or through Medicare or Medicaid so will not receive a balance bill for services.
Expanding high-quality care access to rural regions
As hospitals across the country continue to be shuttered, access to care is a growing necessity for many, especially those in rural areas. However, even in highly populated states nearby emergency and specialty care are not always available.
Today, more than one-quarter of the American population, 85 million residents, can only access a Level 1 or 2 Trauma Care facility within one hour if they are flown by air-medical transportation.
Air Methods eliminates those geographic obstacles while providing life-saving interventions during missions, such as clot-busting medications that must be given shortly after a major stroke to significantly improve outcomes and trauma care after an accident. The clinical teams flying on these missions also have the highest first-attempt success rates in the nation among their peers at performing prehospital intubations, which is an emergency medical procedure to open a patient’s airway when breathing is obstructed. Developed exclusively by Air Methods’ clinicians, this emergency process was recently published in the leading textbook for emergency medicine continuing education, Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) (9th Edition).
As Air Methods continues to work towards additional in-network agreements, its Patient Advocacy Program also supports patients with insurance bills when their air-medical care and transportation is an out-of-network benefit. Patient Advocacy Program teams work on the patients’ behalf, especially as related to supporting patients with billing questions and insurance appeals.
- Jordan’s first female pilot trains in the USA
- Rostec attracts UAE investor for VR-Technoloiges
- Leonardo and Falcon Aviation Services launch groundbreaking urban mobility concept
- Airbus delivers first H145M to Luxembourg
- Follow-on Testing for LONGBOW Fire Control Radar Successful
- Airbus signs HCare contract with STARS Air Ambulance
- StandardAero Announces Opening of MRO Facility in Canada
- Mi-38 launched in the international market
- Leonardo delivers AW169M to Italian Guardia di Finanza
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award