In 2012, Terma completed a study program for Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNLAF) to identify the best possible way of protecting the NH90 aircraft against IR seeking missiles. The study pointed out the MASE system as the preferred choice giving the best compromise between improved self-protection, mission/aircraft compatibility, cost and fleet commonality.
The MASE installation is based on the proven modular Aircraft Survivability Equipment concept consisting of the Terma ALQ-213 EW controller, a modular self-protection Pod equipped with Hensoldt MILDS-F Missile Warning System (MWS), and the latest generation Advanced Countermeasures Dispenser System from Terma.
Based on inputs from key operational experts Terma was also contracted for installation of Hostile Fire Indicator System (HFI) to protect the aircraft against small arms fire. This additional capability is fully integrated into the MASE system based on data provided by the Missile Warning sensors.GDH
The architecture of the MASE system is highly modularized, thereby prepared for future growth such as Directed Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM) or new sensors.
The Pod is mounted on a dedicated carrier for optimum 360 deg. threat detection and countermeasures dispensing without compromising other NH90 capabilities. Control and operation of the system is provided through the Electronic Warfare Management System, ALQ-213.
The MASE concept has previously proven its effectiveness on other aircraft types and has performed very well in several deployments. Providing better self-protection through improved situational awareness, optimized flare dispensing program and automatic mode of operation, thereby reducing aircrew workload.
The modularity of the MASE pod has enabled tailoring for a number of helicopter platforms, including AH-64D, EH101, Mi-17, Mi-24, and AS 550 Fennec.
We look forward to seeing you at Global Defence Helicopter in Dresden at our stand no. 37 on 29-31 October 2019.
- Shell Aircraft to be first H160 offshore operator
- CAMTS Awards First Special Operations Accreditation
- S.A.F.E. to host its first annual Maintenance Safety Symposium
- Precision Aviation Group acquires World Aviation Corp
- Maverick announces CRFS retrofit for its entire EC130B4 fleet
- Airbus to deliver 16 H125s to Customs and Border Protection
- Bell and Wintershall Dea Set Sights for Innovative North Sea Operations
- Alameda County Sheriff orders a Bell 505
- Tennessee Valley Authority orders two Bell 429s and two 407GXi
- Sikorsky Honours S92 Operators
- Maxcraft Avionics receives STC for Garmin GTN750H Navigator in AS365
- S.A.F.E. Structure Designs wins $1M CH-47F fall protection platform contract
- Heli-One Approved to Develop AW139 IGB TGB Capability
- Sierra Nevada DVE Technology Mitigates Risk of Operating Helicopters
- DRF Luftrettung expands its H145 and H135 fleet
- Rotortrade gives its view on pre-owned helicopter market
- Sikorsky Recognizes California Firehawk Aerial Firefighters
- StandardAero wins Rolls-Royce M250 award for 11th Consecutive Year
- Guimbal introduces new updates for Cabri G2
- NASA orders three Airbus H135s