Since the introduction of the Sikorsky S92 from its FAA certification in 2002, the only airframes to be withdrawn from service have been as a consequence of an accident.
CHC in the UK have retired serial number 920024, which the UK Civil Aviation Authority recorded in February 2019 as having 12,024 hours on the airframe. Built in 2005, the aircraft was delivered to CHC in March 2006 and operated for its first three years in Canada.
In March 2009 it was transferred to Awan Inspirasi in Malaysia who operated it for three and a half years, albeit still within the wider CHC family.
Moving on to Aberdeen in the UK, the aircraft has flown on the North Sea in support of offshore oil exploration and production from September 2012, and last flew on 31st October 2019. The aircraft has now been stripped of all useful parts and the bare shell is see in the image below departing Aberdeen Airport just before Christmas, presumably for a metal recycler.
HeliHub.com understands that CHC will be withdrawing a second example (with over 14,000 hours) early in 2020.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
[Note – HeliHub.com has been given permission to use this image by the photographer]
- Caverton launches S92 operations in Nigeria
- 27-Dec-20 G-MCSK Sikorsky S92 Aberdeen, UK
- CHC Norway wins S92 contract with Equinor and Var Energi
- 08-Dec-20 G-CLHW Sikorsky S92 Sumburgh, UK
- ITP Aero signs contract to provide engine MRO for CHC S92 and AW189
- Milestone delivers first S92 to Caverton Helicopters
- 25-Sep-20 LN-ONQ Sikorsky S92 Stavangar, Norway
- 25-Sep-20 LN-ONQ Sikorsky S92 Sola, Norway
- Babcock wins major new contracts with Total E&P UK
- HM Coastguard flies first UK unmanned SAR missions
- ITP Aero wins engine MRO contract for CHC S-92s and AW189s
- General Electric awarded $11M extra for Presidential V-92 contract
- Babcock wins major new North Sea helicopter contract from Bristow
- Sikorsky receives second contract for six Presidential S92s
- Bristow Announces Contract Extensions with ConocoPhillips
- Sikorsky Honours S92 Operators
- Sikorsky introduces S-92A+ and S-92B upgrades
- 13-Dec-19 G-WNSV Sikorsky S92 Sumburgh, UK
- Babcock Offshore secures new North Sea helicopter contract
- 25-Oct-19 5N-BOA Sikorsky S92 Port Hardcourt, Nigeria