Kopter pursues its flight test campaign in Sicily with its 3rd prototype (P3) having now reached more than 100 flights and being now equipped with a modified main rotor head and the next generation of main rotor blades.
Both were successfully tested at the end of last year on the company’s whirltower in Ennetmoos, Switzerland. These have now been installed on P3 in Pozzallo where Kopter has established its flight test activities since March 2019.
This upgrade package is part of a scheduled configuration evolution towards the final optimization of the production aircraft.
After an initial set of ground runs and flights have been completed, all the expected improvements have been confirmed.
“The results of these first flights confirm our aircraft evolution roadmap is meeting the expectations and increase our confidence on the timely achievement of our product development targets”, Kopter CTO, Michele Riccobono, declared after having flown the upgraded P3.
The new main rotor head architecture optimizes the dynamic behavior particularly in the handling qualities further reducing the pilot workload in all phases of flight.
“These recent modifications have addressed some characteristics we wanted to improve. Now, the aircraft is smoother and more stable, making it even easier to fly.”, said Richard Grant, Kopter Chief Test Pilot, right after the first flight of this new configuration on P3.
The next generation of main rotor blades is expected to improve the performance at high altitude and high weight.
The full performance evaluation is the subject of the ongoing flight test campaign.
- UKMFTS program adds first of four additional Airbus H145s
- ACC Aviation Partners with AeroMedical
- Wings Air Helicopters offers free flights for healthcare professionals
- Wingcopter is one of 9 winners of German Government’s €24M hackathon
- Leonardo AW159 Wildcat conducts first successful firings of Thales ‘Martlet’ LMM
- Swiss training solution company VRM completes second funding round
- Christoph 49 celebrates 20 years of takeover by the DRF Luftrettung
- Intrinsic Aviation announces JV with Arena Investors
- COVID19 – CHC cancels 2020 Safety & Quality Summit
- COVID19 – Scottish island to receive pandemic test kits by drone
- COVID19 – EpiShuttle arrives in France for evaluation
- DRF Luftrettung H135 and H145 receive EMS equipment
- COVID-19 – MD Helicopter launches flight support for COVID-19 humanitarian missions
- Autoflug and Volocopter partner on air taxi seats
- Rivers State Government withdraws charges against Caverton Helicopters
- Netherlands – HeliCentre buys Entrol EC135 simulator
- Sri Lanka Aviation Unit in South Sudan Receive UN Medals
- Ehang supports Urban Air Mobility themed hotel
- COVID-19 – Ansat to transport patients with COVID-19 in isolation modules
- US Army test launches UAS from Black Hawk