Kopter pursues its flight test campaign in Sicily with its 3rd prototype (P3) having now reached more than 100 flights and being now equipped with a modified main rotor head and the next generation of main rotor blades.
Both were successfully tested at the end of last year on the company’s whirltower in Ennetmoos, Switzerland. These have now been installed on P3 in Pozzallo where Kopter has established its flight test activities since March 2019.
This upgrade package is part of a scheduled configuration evolution towards the final optimization of the production aircraft.
After an initial set of ground runs and flights have been completed, all the expected improvements have been confirmed.
“The results of these first flights confirm our aircraft evolution roadmap is meeting the expectations and increase our confidence on the timely achievement of our product development targets”, Kopter CTO, Michele Riccobono, declared after having flown the upgraded P3.
The new main rotor head architecture optimizes the dynamic behavior particularly in the handling qualities further reducing the pilot workload in all phases of flight.
“These recent modifications have addressed some characteristics we wanted to improve. Now, the aircraft is smoother and more stable, making it even easier to fly.”, said Richard Grant, Kopter Chief Test Pilot, right after the first flight of this new configuration on P3.
The next generation of main rotor blades is expected to improve the performance at high altitude and high weight.
The full performance evaluation is the subject of the ongoing flight test campaign.
- Pulselite installed across Bell Training Academy fleet
- JetNet for Salesforce to be demonstrated at NBAA conference
- Spidertracks announce Blue Hawaiian Helicopters as official launch customer of Spider X
- Blade makes Nino Negri Wine an Official 2020 Partner
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- Japan Airlines completes successful UAV cargo trial
- Can aviation ever be truly green?
- HAI Sadly Announces the Passing of Matthew Zuccaro
- Executive Vice-President Finance appointed at Airbus Helicopters
- Bristow to trial Unmanned systems to help with SAR
- NAVSUP WSS signs $2.3 billion H-60 Seahawk PBL Renewal Contract
- Safran opens new CAP 2020 industrial campus in Tarnos
- New Leonardo facility in São Paulo
- Airbus maintains global market leader position in 2019
- Introducing Leonardo&Codemar S.A., a new joint venture
- WAI Board Aappoints new CEO
- Kopter receives Production Organization Approval from FOCA
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Airbus improves H175 damper & pitch rod maintenance
- Sikorsky receives second contract for six Presidential S92s