Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin company (NYSE: LMT), today recognized Bristow, CHC, and Cougar Helicopters for their life-saving mission capability using the workhorse S-92® Search and Rescue (SAR) helicopter. Audrey Brady, Sikorsky VP, Commercial Systems and Services and Sergei Sikorsky, son of company founder Igor Sikorsky, thanked Bristow, CHC, and Cougar executives in a ceremony at the 2020 Helicopter Association International Heli-Expo here.
In 2019, Bristow, CHC, and Cougar were responsible for a total of more than 2,700 SAR missions resulting in more than 1,700 lives saved. Bristow operates the aircraft for the U.K. Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) for Her Majesty’s Coastguard. The S-92 was involved in almost 65 percent of its sorties in 2019; 72 percent of all people rescued by Coastguard aircraft were saved by crews operating a Sikorsky S-92.
In addition, Bristow Americas completed 26 SAR sorties using the S-92 in the Gulf of Mexico. In Norway, Bristow used the S-92 for all SAR and Medevac missions in 2019. In total, 62 SAR and ambulance flights were performed in the Ekofisk area as well as the Barents Sea.
CHC SAR operations experience extremely high dispatch availability rates; the Irish Coast Guard currently flies at nearly 98 percent reliability. One of CHC’s most notable rescues of the year lasted into the early morning hours of March 24, after a large cruise ship off the coast of Norway experienced an engine failure. Three S-92 aircraft were involved in the rescue mission, and 466 people were safely rescued. To date, this is the largest helicopter rescue at sea.
“The recognition for our SAR missions belongs to our pilots, flight crews, mechanics and all the other team members that work tirelessly to ensure safe and reliable transport and dispatch reliability,” said Miguel Carrasco, CHC’s senior vice president, Operations and Supply Chain. “I am honored to accept the award on behalf of the great team at CHC.”
Cougar Helicopters, the first rotorcraft company in North America to utilize the S-92 in a SAR capacity, flew more than 350 SAR sorties this year, totaling nearly 570 flight hours. Cougar has been the recipient of 35 Sikorsky Winged-S Rescue Awards since 2008 and boasts a 20-minute SAR response time in the northeastern Atlantic.
The Sikorsky S-92 has flown more than 1.6 million total flight hours, predominantly for civil search and rescue operations and for operators serving the worldwide offshore oil and gas industry. The S-92 currently operates in 25 countries and is the industry standard for safety and reliability. Thirteen nations, including the U.S., have selected the S-92 helicopter for their head of state missions.
Senior executives Don Miller, Bristow, Hank Williams, Cougar Helicopters and Miguel Carrasco, CHC, were recognized by Sergei Sikorsky, son of company founder Igor Sikorsky, Audrey Brady, Sikorsky VP, Commercial Systems and Services and John Rudy, Sikorsky Director, Oil & Gas and Services for their more than 2,700 S-92® Search and Rescue missions
- Babcock wins major new contracts with Total E&P UK
- HM Coastguard flies first UK unmanned SAR missions
- ITP Aero wins engine MRO contract for CHC S-92s and AW189s
- General Electric awarded $11M extra for Presidential V-92 contract
- Babcock wins major new North Sea helicopter contract from Bristow
- Sikorsky receives second contract for six Presidential S92s
- Bristow Announces Contract Extensions with ConocoPhillips
- Sikorsky introduces S-92A+ and S-92B upgrades
- First Sikorsky S92 retired from active service
- 13-Dec-19 G-WNSV Sikorsky S92 Sumburgh, UK
- 25-Oct-19 5N-BOA Sikorsky S92 Port Hardcourt, Nigeria
- Babcock swaps aircraft between UK and Australia
- 18-Feb-10 Sikorsky H-92 Kauai, US-Hawaii
- HeliTSA starts S92 maintenance training in Australia, secures own Part 147 approval
- Babcock takes delivery of another new S92
- Sikorsky relocates and expands parts stock in Brazil
- Milestone grows S92 fleet to 95 Helicopters
- Canada Certifies Increased Gross Weight for S-92
- Thai Aviation Services begins S-92 helicopter training
- Bristow UK Secures Contract to Support TAQA’s UK Operations