Washington, D.C. – In the wake of the tragedy that claimed the life of Laker legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and 7 others, Congressman Brad Sherman (D-Sherman Oaks) is introducing the Kobe Bryant and Gianna Bryant Helicopter Safety Act, which will require the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to strengthen federal safety standards for helicopters.
In 2004, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) recommended to the FAA that all helicopters be equipped with a Terrain Awareness and Warning System. Unfortunately, the FAA refused to follow this recommendation to require the safety system. Kobe Bryant’s helicopter did not have this system when it crashed on January 26th. Had this system been on the helicopter, it is likely the tragic crash could have been avoided. These systems cost between $25,000 to $40,000 per helicopter.
The Kobe Bryant and Gianna Bryant Helicopter Safety Act will direct the FAA to adopt new helicopter safety standards in coordination with the National Transportation Safety Board, which must include a requirement that helicopters be equipped with a Terrain Awareness and Warning System. The legislation will also establish a commission on helicopter safety and require a report to Congress on best practices for helicopters in cases of low visibility.
- MD Helicopters deliver MD530F to Wilson Construction
- Kaman Recognized by Sikorsky as Elite Supplier
- Maelstrom AFB opens Helicopter Operations Alert Facility
- EHang to Expand Production Facility
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- HeliSpeed signs SAR support agreement with British International
- Airinmar selected by Air Methods for warranty and value engineering services
- Former HAI chairman Wisecup passes away
- AAMS issue statement on HHS report on surprise medical billing
- Wilson Construction upgrades MD500E to MD530F standard
- Transport Canada Approve HTC metal blades for Bell 204, 205 and UH-1
- Nigerian union pickets Bristow Helicopters
- Russian Helicopters delivers first Mi-8AMT to Vityaz-Aero
- EHang 216 Obtained Special Flight Operations Certificate from TCCA
- 04-Aug-20 RA-06353 Robinson R66 Mount Belukha, Russia
- 04-Aug-20 D-HIPO Bell 47G4A Lübstorf, Germany
- Babcock wins major new contracts with Total E&P UK
- Triumph to provide helicopter MRO services to Global Aerospace Logistics
- MedEvac Foundation Invites Participants to Virtual Event
- SPAES H145 night vision approvals updated for new tactical radios