As part of the Helicopter Flight Training Systems (HFTS) GmbH team, Rheinmetall is modernizing flight simulators for the German Army Aviation Corps’ NH90 helicopters. A contract to this effect was signed at the end of December 2019. For Rheinmetall, the order is worth a figure in the lower double-digit euro million range. Awarded to HFTS, the complete contract encompasses operation, service and maintenance of the simulators through to 2027, with a contractually guaranteed availability rate of at least 98%.
The German Bundeswehr is thus sticking to HFTS GmbH, the tried-and-tested operator of its NH90 simulators. Founded in 2004, the company today operates NH90 full-mission simulators in Bückeburg, Fassberg and Holzdorf. HFTS GmbH is a consortium in which Airbus Helicopter, CAE, Rheinmetall and Thales each hold an equal share.
The modernization project involves updating the system to match the current configuration of the NH90 (MR1) as well as qualification of the four simulators in accordance with EASA licensing regulations, Level C.
Rheinmetall possesses extensive experience and expertise with NH90 simulators. In addition to flight simulators, the Group has already supplied several systems for training NH90 ground personnel. As recently as mid 2019, an Asterion-based system of this type for the NH90-NTH naval helicopter went into operation at Nordholz Naval Air Base. Before this, ground crew training systems had already been supplied to Fassberg. Here, German Army ground personnel are schooled in operating and maintenance procedures for the NH90 TTH in exact replicas of the cockpit.
- Rheinmetall to supply digital classroom for German Navy NH90 training
- Qatar NH90 helicopter programme marks major milestone with first flights
- Leonardo’s acoustic sub hunter technology adds dipping sonar in new demo
- Indra delivers the second NH90 simulator to the Spanish Armed Forces
- Bundeswehr orders 31 NH90 for shipborne operations
- GKN Aerospace promotes its role in German NH90 order
- Germany procures 31 NH90s for Navy role
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- CAE hands over CAE 700MR NH90 simulator to Royal New Zealand Air Force
- First NH90 delivered to the Spanish Air Force for SAR missions
- France signs contract for upgraded NH90 TTH for Special Forces
- Royal Netherlands Air Force sends replacement NH90 to Curacao
- Safran to support German and Norwegian NH90 engines
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- CAE to provide German Navy with NH90 training solution
- Spain receives NH90 simulator from Indra
- RNLAF NH90 to be upgraded with Hostile Fire Indicator System
- Netherlands Ministry of Defence opens new NH90 training facility
- Airbus delivers first NH90 Sea Lion to the German Armed Forces
- ST Engineering to support German NH90 fleet