Under the mutual cooperation with the government of Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan Airlines (JAL) conducted a trial transporting freight for approximately 46km within the local islands in Nagasaki with an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) helicopter. On February 19, in conjunction with JAL Cargo`s transport service, fresh fish from the city of Shinkamigoto in Nagasaki was successfully transported on the same day to a restaurant in Tokyo, demonstrating the potential for UAV services in Japan.
Outline of the Demonstration
February 18, 2020
Transported freight packed in a cool box for approximately 46km between Kamigoto airport and Ojika airport by UAV helicopter. During the trial, the temperature in the cool box was logged to make sure the environment for transported goods can be kept at a certain level throughout the flight.
February 19, 2020
Successfully transported 20kg of fresh fish packed in a cool box from Kamigoto airport to the city of Saikai (approximately 35km) by UAV helicopter, which was then transported to Nagasaki Airport by truck and loaded onto a JAL passenger flight to Haneda Airport. The fresh fish was ultimately served at a restaurant in Tokyo on the same day. The temperature inside the cool box was logged and was confirmed to have been kept at a certain level throughout the trial.
The UAV flight was piloted by Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
In terms of transporting goods between local airports with a UAV helicopter, this was the first-ever demonstration conducted in the country of Japan. JAL aims to develop a new type of air cargo service in the industry with UAV technology, as the airline foresees demand for such services in the near future. Also, combined with JAL`s domestic network, the carrier aims to cultivate new demands, contribute to regional revitalization and achieve key sustainable development goals.
Flight Demonstration Video
- Two Japanese prefectures sign helicopter cooperation agreement
- RNAS Culdrose to control satellite airfield remotely
- Ideagen and PHI Aviation Agree Five-Year Safety Management Software Deal
- WAI Announces Keynote Speakers for Virtual WAI2021 Conference
- G+ and HeliOffshore collaborate on helicopter operations for wind farms
- Air Ambulances UK announces new CEO
- Inter-Tec Group opens a new business in Ireland
- Airbus recognizes 2 employees with 50 years of service
- Summit Aviation makes appointment to new Director of Program Management role
- Milestone Aviation and NHV Group expand partnership
- HAI names recipient of the 2021 Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- USHST identifies need for Automatic Flight Control Systems in light helicopters
- NHV awarded contract by Allseas Engineering
- Volocopter Raises €200 Million in Series D Funding Round
- HAI names Flight Instructor of the Year
- HSC-25 Squadron Conducts Change of Command Ceremony
- Leonardo and Falcon Aviation Services start building Dubai AW609 terminal
- Air Methods targets new Wisconsin base at Hartford
- PLDT’s aviation unit announces rebranding
- Sikorsky awarded $53M contract for four UH-60Ms