Under the mutual cooperation with the government of Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan Airlines (JAL) conducted a trial transporting freight for approximately 46km within the local islands in Nagasaki with an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) helicopter. On February 19, in conjunction with JAL Cargo`s transport service, fresh fish from the city of Shinkamigoto in Nagasaki was successfully transported on the same day to a restaurant in Tokyo, demonstrating the potential for UAV services in Japan.
Outline of the Demonstration
February 18, 2020
Transported freight packed in a cool box for approximately 46km between Kamigoto airport and Ojika airport by UAV helicopter. During the trial, the temperature in the cool box was logged to make sure the environment for transported goods can be kept at a certain level throughout the flight.
February 19, 2020
Successfully transported 20kg of fresh fish packed in a cool box from Kamigoto airport to the city of Saikai (approximately 35km) by UAV helicopter, which was then transported to Nagasaki Airport by truck and loaded onto a JAL passenger flight to Haneda Airport. The fresh fish was ultimately served at a restaurant in Tokyo on the same day. The temperature inside the cool box was logged and was confirmed to have been kept at a certain level throughout the trial.
The UAV flight was piloted by Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
In terms of transporting goods between local airports with a UAV helicopter, this was the first-ever demonstration conducted in the country of Japan. JAL aims to develop a new type of air cargo service in the industry with UAV technology, as the airline foresees demand for such services in the near future. Also, combined with JAL`s domestic network, the carrier aims to cultivate new demands, contribute to regional revitalization and achieve key sustainable development goals.
Flight Demonstration Video
- Austria orders the AW169M
- HSC-22 Receives First MQ-8C Firescout
- Neptune Energy extends contract with CHC Helicopters
- Baden-Württemberg police take on new fire-fighting role
- Bell Presents the Turkish Director General of Forestry with the Outstanding Operational Readiness Award
- Bell Presents the Turkish National Police with the Outstanding Operational Readiness Award
- Cornwall Air Ambulance to feature in new TV series
- STARS to take over Lifeflight in Manitoba
- Volocopter offers reservations for commercial flights
- President of Uruguay welcomes first SAR AB412
- Airbus to keep NASA’s helicopters flying for up to 10 years
- Viterra and STARS to launch calendar campaign fundraiser
- UW Health Med Flight’s first all-woman crew makes history
- Swire Oilfield Services acquires Helifuel
- Aviation Jobs – statistical comparison between 2019 and 2020
- BBGA calls Brexit webinar
- Devon Air Ambulance celebates exemplary service
- Polar Airlines becomes first service centre for Ansat helicopters
- Kazan Ansat approved for all documentation in electronic form
- SH09 prototype returns home with improved aerodynamics