The Townsville economy is receiving a $40 million boost through Defence works at RAAF Base Townsville, highlighting the success of the Morrison Government’s local procurement policies.
Minister for Defence Industry, the Hon Melissa Price MP, said the new facilities for Defence’s CH-47 Chinook helicopters are being constructed using local companies and employees.
The project includes new aircraft shelters, a support facility, working accommodation and tarmac parking for three Chinooks for the 5th Aviation Regiment at RAAF Base Townsville.
“Some 90 per cent of the project is being delivered by local businesses,” Minister Price said.
“Through our Local Capability Industry Plan we’ve ensured that local businesses deliver the lion’s share of this project.
“With so much uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a welcome boost to the local economy.”
Federal Member for Herbert, Mr Phillip Thompson OAM MP, said the project manager Aurecon has engaged a local design team, Conrad Gargett and local construction personnel, under the contractor, LendLease.
“We’re doing a significant amount of work on local Defence infrastructure at the moment and I’m always pushing for our very capable local contractors to be involved so it’s great to see that happening with this project,” Mr Thompson said.
Two local students from James Cook University have also been employed and will be working with LendLease on the project based at RAAF Base Townsville.
Mr Thompson said the timing of these works, especially considering the COVID-19 pandemic, is providing important support for the local economy.
“The project is expected to be complete later this year with around 400 workers directly participating in the consutruction of the new facilities, with the overwhelming majority of these Townsville locals,” Mr Thompson said.
The project works have continued through the COVID-19 pandemic with no adverse impact on productivity.
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22
- Bell wins $8M contract with Bahrain for AH-1Z flight training device
- Safran to support Dutch Cougar engines
- Consultation under way for Sydney CBD helipad
- US Navy receives first fleet CMV-22B
- Three new helicopters for police in Republika Srpska
- Morocco Orders 24 Boeing AH-64E Apache Helicopters
- Airbus adds 250 helicopters to HCare Smart and Infinite contracts
- Akima Awarded task order for helicopter maintenance at Fairchild AFB
- Gardner Standard Announces the Acquisition of Shadin Avionics