The Leonardo AW139 destined for the scheduled service between Penzance Heliport and the Isles of Scilly was one of the helicopter industry’s first #COVID19 casualties. The helicopter became quarantined in China early in 2020 when the pandemic took hold. Consequently the route started as planned on March 17 using two Leonardo AW109SP GrandNew helicopters, but lasted a handful of days before it too was forced to close by the pandemic on March 23.
Penzance Helicopters are now showing flights restarting Saturday 4th July on their website with all seats already booked outbound from Penzance on the opening day to both destinations – St Mary’s and Tresco. Flights are operated by AOC holder Sloane Helicopters
Separately, it would appear that progress is being made with a AW139 helicopter yesterday being added to the British CAA register as G-PIOS (initials of “Penzance – Isles Of Scilly”) in the name of leasing company LCI Helicopters. The aircraft was previously leased to Shanghai King Wing General Aviation in China and will need to be reconfigured for the passenger service it will be flying, as well as repainted in Penzance Helicopters colours – presumably in the scheme of their CGI image seen below.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Penzance Helicopters introduces AW139 to Isles of Scilly service
- Global AirParts announces AW139 part out project
- Leonardo AW139 – EASA AD 2020-0191 : Equipment / Furnishings
- Changes coming for heliport at Macau International Airport
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- Leonardo presents AW139 enhanced capabilities
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- FAA approves Coptersafety AW139 simulator
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- LCI Helicopters launches $100 Million co-investment vehicle
- RBI Hawker completes industry first with AW139 main rotor blade repair
- Omni starts another PGS contract with both S76 and AW139
- Caverton signs for AW139 simulator from Thales
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Honeywell and Leonardo upgrade AW139 with Synthetic Vision Navigation
- Omni Táxi Aéreo picks Skytrac for Real-Time HUMS and Satellite Push-to-Talk solutions
- Leonardo announces the purchase of an AW139 Level D FF)S by Suzuyo & Co of Japan.
- Milestone Announces Leases of 7 Helicopters with Héli-Union