The first flight for Babcock’s new five-year contract for helicopter operations out of Sumburgh, Shetland, took place today (1 July 2020).
Current plans will see Babcock’s Offshore business initially conduct more than 100 flights a month to Oil and Gas installations in the Northern North Sea on behalf of EnQuest, TAQA and CNR International.
Passengers fly from Aberdeen to Sumburgh on a Loganair ATR 42 aircraft, before taking the final leg by offshore helicopter.
And today the first flight of 38 passengers left Aberdeen International Airport on a Loganair aircraft arriving at Sumburgh where they transferred to Babcock S-92 helicopters, with one helicopter flying 19 passengers to CNR’s Ninian Southern platform and another taking 19 passengers to TAQA’s Cormorant Alpha and Tern platforms.
Babcock Offshore Director, Ian Cooke, said: “Today’s first flight marks a significant moment for us as we embark on a new relationship with an important new customer group.
“We are basing aircraft in Sumburgh full-time to serve this contract and will also be investing in facilities there and in Aberdeen.
“We pride ourselves on operating to the highest levels of safety and I’m looking forward to Babcock delivering a safe and efficient aviation service to support our customer’s operations in Shetland.”
Loganair Director of Charter Services Fiona MacLeod said: “This is a significant contract win for us, strengthening our oil and gas commitment – in a sector where we have considerable long-term experience.
“In partnership with Babcock, we will be providing vital links for three major North Sea companies. We have dedicated two of our 49-seat ATR-42 turboprops to the service, a type newly introduced to the Loganair fleet, of which we have five in total.”
- New Weather Layers in Profile in ForeFlight’s Latest Release
- Final five Mi-8MTV-5-1 delivered to Russian military ahead of schedule
- Helicopter Online Ground School launches two new courses
- HAI launches annual Salute to Excellence Awards
- Belgium cuts military helicopter flying in half
- Prestwick SAR base passes 1,500 taskings milestone
- Great Western Air Ambulance encourages use of What3Words
- Iran unveils new laser-guided missiles for helicopter fleet
- Rostec began flight tests of the newest helicopter for special forces Mi-8AMTSh-VN
- EDA sets up Multinational Helicopter Training Centre for Sintra
- Entrol welcomes HELISEVEN to its client list
- 08-Aug-20 N….. Bell 206 Marathon, US-Texas (3F)
- EASA SIB 2020-13 Provision of ground handling services at aerodromes following COVID-19 outbreak
- Lydd SAR base passes 1,000 taskings milestone
- Boeing Receives $265 Million Chinook Helicopter Order
- Churchill Navigation and Shotover Camera Systems Merge
- USAIG expands safety collaboration with Airbus
- Airbus Fleet Master presents uninterrupted data chain
- EHang Launches Intelligent Aerial Firefighting Solution
- VHA Receives TIA on 206B Version 2 Main Rotor Blades