Many STARS supporters across the province have cause to celebrate, following the final draws of the 2020 STARS lottery yesterday.
The ninth edition of the STARS Lottery Saskatchewan featured more than 1,800 prizes valued at over $4.2 million, including luxury vehicles, dream vacations, cash, and two stunning, fully-furnished show homes worth nearly $1.6 million each. It also included STARS’ most valuable early bird prize package, and Saskatchewan’s largest 50/50 ever.
Annette and Joe Marche said their win of $900,000 in the LUCKY STARS 50/50 was a “pinch me” moment they had only imagined the night before it became a reality. Their win was especially meaningful, as a family member was transported by STARS years ago.
The couple says a little prayer every time they hear one of STARS’ red helicopters flying above their Regina home. “When you hear it, you know a life needs saving, and STARS is there for that patient and their family, like they were for us,” Joe said.
“Overwhelmed” is how Yorkton resident Trent Senger described feeling when he and his family received the news he had won the Saskatoon area show home. “Winning the house was mind-blowing,” said Senger. “I can’t explain how much this is going to affect us.”
Senger knows many people who have been cared for by STARS, and he has supported the non-profit for years. “I feel like the luckiest person in the world to have won and lucky to have STARS in the province,” he said. “We have to do what we can to keep it here.”
The lottery is STARS’ largest fundraiser in Saskatchewan. This year’s lottery was the most successful to date, selling out two weeks prior to the June 25 Early Bird deadline and raising approximately $2.75 million net for the charitable organization.
“We are grateful to our allies for helping us achieve a record-breaking lottery, especially during these challenging times,” said Andrea Robertson, STARS president and CEO.
“With many of our fundraising events cancelled or modified, a sold-out lottery is critical to our ongoing operations. We congratulate all the winners, and we can’t thank the people of Saskatchewan enough for their support.”
Top prize winners include:
$1.59 million Regina area show home – Vanessa Ripley and Christine Drever, Saskatoon
$1.59 million Saskatoon area show home – Trent Senger, Yorkton
LUCKY STARS 50/50 payout of $900,000 cash – Annette and Joe Marche, Regina
Early Bird “Truck, Trailer, Toys and $100,000 Cash” prize – Marjorie Strandlund, Regina
A full list of winners is available at STARSLotterySaskatchewan.ca/winners. The lottery license number is LR19-0110.
- UK AAIB Bulletin – August 2020
- Leonardo are test flying AW169 with skids
- FAA to Host Virtual International Rotorcraft Safety Conference
- QinetiQ contract with Castle Air to operate new Airbus H145
- Bell opens facility in Wichita, Kansas
- First flight for Russia’s Ka-52M
- DRF Luftrettung retains Christoph 80 contract from April 2021
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor
- Robinson Delivers R66 Serial Number 1000
- Ryan Aerospace wins International Military Training and Simulation award
- Bell Unveils New Manufacturing Technology Center
- Helicentre Aviation Extends 2020 Scholarships Deadline
- AIRO Group buys Aspen Avionics
- New Weather Layers in Profile in ForeFlight’s Latest Release
- Final five Mi-8MTV-5-1 delivered to Russian military ahead of schedule
- Helicopter Online Ground School launches two new courses
- HAI launches annual Salute to Excellence Awards
- Belgium cuts military helicopter flying in half
- Prestwick SAR base passes 1,500 taskings milestone
- Great Western Air Ambulance encourages use of What3Words