Kicking off the 2020 MTV VMAs this past weekend from high above Manhattan at Edge Hudson Yards and Skyline Drive-In in Greenpoint, Wings Air Helicopters took things to the next level for The Weeknd’s opening performance with their SHOTOVER F1.
Working in conjunction with fellow SHOTOVER customers, Team5, Vancal Cine, and Aerial Filmworks, Javier Diaz, Wings Air Helicopters’ Founder, President, and Chief Pilot, flew the Skyline camera helicopter with his F1 along with Aerial DP John Trapman, capturing smooth, sweeping shots of New York City and performances by Maluma, KEKE, and CNCO. The Edge camera helicopter featured a second SHOTOVER F1 provided by Team5 Aerial Systems, flown by well-known stunt pilot Fred North and Aerial DP Hans Bjerno, seen multiple times during the televised performance. Wings Air also supplied an R44 helicopter for the shoot, equipped with a night sun spotlight to light up the stage, flown by pilot Ben Skorstad with Kevin Siroka from Wings Air controlling the spotlight. Ground coordinators Peggy North and Jonathan Capellan from Wings Air were working at both locations during the performances.
“We filmed over 3 evenings last week and we could not have accomplished all the shots wanted from production without the SHOTOVER F1,” said Javier Diaz of Wings Air Helicopters. “I had worked with the F1 previously and was impressed by its versatility, so I’m thrilled to have it as a part of the equipment I can offer to customers.”
Diaz added that as productions begin to resume, he looks forward to utilizing the F1 on a wide variety of film, television, and commercial shoots throughout New York and the World.
- Jolly Green II HH-60W begins live-fire testing
- Hill Helicopters unveils interior concept for its new HX50
- Celebrate Girls in Aviation Day – September 26, 2020
- US Marine Corps use 3D printing for new MH-60S comms system
- First ACH145 helicopter delivered to Russia
- Bell Announces Collaboration with Elektroniksystem- und Logistik-GmbH (ESG)
- Rostec starts assembling parts for the first Russian offshore Mi-171A3
- New UK heliport in Plymouth wins planning approval
- Bell to Attend NATO Days 2020
- Airbus Helicopters and HTM-Helicopters sign contract
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance CEO shortlisted for national award
- LCI and Sumitomo to establish JV helicopter leasing business
- COVID-19 forces Maverick Helicopters to lay off 75
- Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Records 50,000 Global Fleet Flight Hours
- Air BP delivers 210 tonnes of sustainable aviation fuel to Stockholm Arlanda Airport
- Virtual AMTC Announces Keynote Speakers
- Specialized Navy Sailors Deployed with Marine Squadron ahead of V-22 Transition
- Thales H160 Level D sim approved
- Boeing, Honeywell and Rolls-partner on German CH-47 bid
- Wyoming Army National Guard activated to assist with California wildfires