Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 22 received their first MQ-8C Firescout on Sept. 15 aboard Naval Station Norfolk.
HSC-22 marks the first East Coast squadron to operate all three systems to include the MH-60S Knighthawk, MQ-8B Firescout, and MQ-8C Firescout. The new added capability of the MQ-8C combines the capabilities of the MQ-8B with the MH-60S Knighthawk to improve the Navy’s ability to investigate and target hostile surface contacts.
“Incorporating the MQ-8C will represent a significant improvement in our Unmanned Air Vehicle mission capability,” said Cmdr. Matthew Wright, HSC-22’s commanding officer. “The ‘Charlie’ is bigger, faster, can carry more mission equipment, and remain airborne over twice as long as our already-proven MQ-8B’s.”
MQ-8B and C Firescout variants are designed for suitably equipped ship-based and land-based autonomous systems. MQ-8B and C Firescout/MH-60S extend Naval Aviation’s capability to support Distributed Maritime Operations providing integrated, over-the-horizon intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting, and combat logistics support.
While the majority of the flight software in the MQ-8C Firescout is similar to the MQ-8B Firescout variant, the aircrews must adapt to the new capabilities of upgraded Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) to include obtaining additional qualifications required for the maintenance team.
Lt. Ryan Jaenke, MH-60S, MQ-8B/C pilot, discussed the advanced capabilities of the MQ-8C.
“The MQ-8C Firescout is the latest step toward increasing the duration that UAS has on the battlefield as well as the impact. It advances the reliability of UAS as well as leaves a larger impact on the battlefield in missions that are not new to today’s warfighter,” said Jaenke.
HSC-22’s mission is to provide manned and unmanned Maritime Attack and Combat Support capabilities to the fleet. Our inherent versatility enables us to provide full-spectrum warfighting support across multiple mission-sets and diverse and distributed platforms.
- Simaero acquires AS332M1 Full Flight Simulator
- Summit Aviation Receives Garmin Bronze Dealer Award
- DRF Christoph Weser to upgrade Bremen air ambulance to EC145
- British military Joint Helicopter Command sustain airpower operation in Mali
- Air Methods Announces Partnership with MountainStar Healthcare
- HAI Extends Nomination Period for Salute to Excellence Awards
- Malta-Gozo helicopter contract falls through
- Bristow announces FY2021 Q2 release call date
- FreeFlight Systems Hires New Director of Sales
- Uavos Continues To Implement Its Unmanned Aircraft Conversion Program
- EHang to benefit as China approves Unmanned Civil Aviation Experimental Zones
- Volocopter and Lufthansa Industry Solutions cooperate to build VoloIQ
- Babcock Australasia improves access to emergency medical services
- Dimerco wins contract to ship 30 Bell 407s from Canada to China
- Lockheed awarded $9M contract for engineering support of AH-1Z
- Lockheed awarded $193M contract for production and delivery of 4 MH-60R to Greece
- Quebec acquires pre-owned Airbus H145 for law enforcement
- Arrow Aviation Completes First Single Pilot IFR Bell 407 for HEMS Service
- The Ecuadorian Air Force takes delivery of their first two H145s
- Emesent is pioneering autonomous drone flight