A team of Thompson & Knight trial lawyers obtained an extraordinary victory on Sept. 29, as the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico issued a ruling dismissing all pending charges against their client, Bell Helicopter Vice President Javier Ortiz. Mr. Ortiz was charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of making a false statement on a loan application. The allegations centered on an approximately $30 million transaction involving the sale of four Bell helicopters to the Puerto Rico government. The prosecutors have dropped all charges related to the transaction.
“In a case of this magnitude, it is very rare for the federal prosecutor to dismiss all criminal charges prior to going to trial,” said Richard B. Roper, a partner at Thompson & Knight and lead counsel on the case. “We are proud of this positive outcome for our client and are very pleased with the District Court’s dismissal of all pending charges.”
The government agreed to dismiss all charges against Mr. Ortiz based in large part on the TK team’s discussions with United States Attorney Stephen Muldrow, during which TK lawyers were able to explain the complexities of the transaction to the prosecutors, and successfully demonstrated Mr. Ortiz’s innocence.
The Dallas-based trial team was led by Richard Roper, Elissa McClure, and Javan Porter, as well as local counsel based in Puerto Rico, Lydia Lizarribar.
- Spanish operator Helity adds new scheduled route
- THC wins AW139 contract from Red Sea Development Company
- Russia to open military office in Serbia
- US DoD picks Sea Machines for autonomous VTOL replenishment vessels
- Taiwan Police seize unregistered Robinson R22
- Blackjacks test MV-22s on LPD-class ship
- Genesys Aerosystem’s Modernized Avionics Suite on Black Hawks Now Certified
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- ATSB reminds pilots of Low Rotor RPM response time
- Former Bristow Nigeria employees in court on parts theft charges
- Ace Aeronautics opens paint booth and media blast facility
- Uber Elevate teams with GE Aviation for flight data monitoring
- BAC Helicopters helps fight locust swarms in Kenya
- Astronautics RoadRunner EFI installed in Santa Barbara County Black Hawk
- Boost Systems improves HEC Suspension Line System
- Deadline to Apply for WAI Scholarships Here
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- Leonardo demonstrates helicopter-UAV teaming in the UK with its AW159 Wildcat
- 21-Oct-20 N716VL Bell 206B Jones Inlet, US-New York
- Starspeed to manage two H145s on new polar vessel Ultramarine