The British Helicopter Association (BHA) has great pleasure in announcing that Captain Rick Newson CAA is the recipient of the Eric Brown Award for 2020. The Award is made annually by the BHA to an individual considered to have made the greatest and most significant contribution towards the helicopter industry in the past year.
Captain Rick Newson, the Flight Operations Manager (Helicopters) at the UK CAA, has supported the industry, along with his team of inspectors, during the pandemic so that the burden on industry has been minimised and flying operations can continue with the necessary precautions and safety measures. His leadership and foresight ensured that the CAA Helicopter Department remained proactive in an extremely challenging and fast-moving situation providing regular support forums, exemptions, and coordinated collaboration necessary to allow the industry to function safely. He championed the Helicopter Aid to Civil Authorities (HACA) scheme with Government Departments and was always available, day and night, to provide advice and guidance when it was needed. Throughout his time with the Authority, he has been a great supporter of the helicopter industry and dedicated his time to working with all stakeholders in raising helicopter safety standards.
This year saw a record number of nominees for the Award. Charlotte Pedersen (Luxaviation) and Gemma Walker (Helispeed) for championing women in aviation and actively promoting the helicopter industry as a demanding but rewarding career choice for the younger generation. Captain Steve Hogarth (ex-Bristow) and Dave Price (Babcock) were nominated for their lifetime of work within the helicopter sector. The final nomination went to the BHA HACA team for their work in setting up the scheme to support the UK Government. Our warmest congratulations to all the nominees and our Award winner, Captain Rick Newson.
- Simaero acquires AS332M1 Full Flight Simulator
- Summit Aviation Receives Garmin Bronze Dealer Award
- DRF Christoph Weser to upgrade Bremen air ambulance to EC145
- British military Joint Helicopter Command sustain airpower operation in Mali
- Air Methods Announces Partnership with MountainStar Healthcare
- HAI Extends Nomination Period for Salute to Excellence Awards
- Malta-Gozo helicopter contract falls through
- Bristow announces FY2021 Q2 release call date
- FreeFlight Systems Hires New Director of Sales
- Uavos Continues To Implement Its Unmanned Aircraft Conversion Program
- EHang to benefit as China approves Unmanned Civil Aviation Experimental Zones
- Volocopter and Lufthansa Industry Solutions cooperate to build VoloIQ
- Babcock Australasia improves access to emergency medical services
- Dimerco wins contract to ship 30 Bell 407s from Canada to China
- Lockheed awarded $9M contract for engineering support of AH-1Z
- Lockheed awarded $193M contract for production and delivery of 4 MH-60R to Greece
- Quebec acquires pre-owned Airbus H145 for law enforcement
- Arrow Aviation Completes First Single Pilot IFR Bell 407 for HEMS Service
- The Ecuadorian Air Force takes delivery of their first two H145s
- Emesent is pioneering autonomous drone flight