The British Helicopter Association (BHA) has great pleasure in announcing that Captain Rick Newson CAA is the recipient of the Eric Brown Award for 2020. The Award is made annually by the BHA to an individual considered to have made the greatest and most significant contribution towards the helicopter industry in the past year.
Captain Rick Newson, the Flight Operations Manager (Helicopters) at the UK CAA, has supported the industry, along with his team of inspectors, during the pandemic so that the burden on industry has been minimised and flying operations can continue with the necessary precautions and safety measures. His leadership and foresight ensured that the CAA Helicopter Department remained proactive in an extremely challenging and fast-moving situation providing regular support forums, exemptions, and coordinated collaboration necessary to allow the industry to function safely. He championed the Helicopter Aid to Civil Authorities (HACA) scheme with Government Departments and was always available, day and night, to provide advice and guidance when it was needed. Throughout his time with the Authority, he has been a great supporter of the helicopter industry and dedicated his time to working with all stakeholders in raising helicopter safety standards.
This year saw a record number of nominees for the Award. Charlotte Pedersen (Luxaviation) and Gemma Walker (Helispeed) for championing women in aviation and actively promoting the helicopter industry as a demanding but rewarding career choice for the younger generation. Captain Steve Hogarth (ex-Bristow) and Dave Price (Babcock) were nominated for their lifetime of work within the helicopter sector. The final nomination went to the BHA HACA team for their work in setting up the scheme to support the UK Government. Our warmest congratulations to all the nominees and our Award winner, Captain Rick Newson.
- 16-Jan-21 517 Bell UH-1H Busdi, Philippines (7F)
- Australia – CASA appoints acting CEO
- Nigerian AF partners with Caverton Helicopters for maintenance
- Container Research Corp wins V-22 aux tank contract
- Naval Supply Systems Command addresses V-22 supply concern
- Australia to replace Tiger with AH-64E
- 15-Jan-21 PH-TTR Airbus H135 Almere, Netherlands
- GAO reports on Washington DC area helicopter noise concerns
- HAI addresses pandemic worries about holding Heli-Expo 2021
- First flight for Airbus H160 for All Nippon Helicopter
- UK AAIB Bulletin – January 2021
- NTSB announces public board meeting on Kobe Bryant S76 accident
- General Electric Aviation awarded $101M contract for support of CH-53K
- Second Nigerian Air Force Mi-171E inducted
- RACQ CQ Rescue publishes 2020 mission stats
- LifeNet Partners with Columbus Community Hospital to Provide Air Medical Services
- US Army requests funding for Rescue Litter Stabilization System
- Bell Certifies New Helicopter Flight Data Monitoring Device
- Bristow appoints Area Manager in Brazil
- Updated Bucher EMS interior approved by EASA on H135