Sûreté du Québec, regularly abbreviated as SQ, is the provincial police service for the Canadian province of Quebec. The force has a history of operating Bell helicopters for many years, partly as a way of demonstrating support for the factory at Mirabel. But not now.
SQ have surprised many observers by not just moving away from Bell, but also in acquiring a pre-owned helicopter. The local Journal de Montreal newspaper quotes Bell spokesperson Patricia Bergeron saying “We were surprised to learn that a Quebec builder had not been considered and that there had been no call for tenders”.
However, Émilie Lord for the Quebec Ministry of Transport (responsible for the Government air fleet) countered with “The helicopter could be in service by the end of the year, rather than two or three years from now for a new aircraft when you take into account the tendering process, construction deadlines. .] and delivery”.
The H145 replaces a Bell 206LT TwinRanger, which SQ acquired in 1994 and which suffered a serious accident in January 2020. They also fly a Bell 206B JetRanger purchased in 1980 (made in Texas, given the Mirabel plant opened in 1986) and a Bell 412 added to the fleet in 2002.
It should also be borne in mind that the Province of Quebec also has a commitment to support Airbus after the European company took over the Bombardier CSeries airliner, now renamed the Airbus A220, which is also built at Montreal’s Mirabel Airport.
Data from Parapex Media shows that the aircraft involved is MSN 20091, previously operated in Italy by Elifriulia
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Transport Canada strengthens ELT requirements
- GKN wins Boeing silver award for AH-64 and CH-47 program work
- Edmonton Police take delivery of new Airbus H125
- South Korea certifies the VK-2500PS-03 engine for the Mi-171A2
- Wales Air Ambulance starts 24×7 ops
- DynCorp extends CalFire support contract
- Germany procures 31 NH90s for Navy role
- NASA Begins Flight Testing Campaign for Future Airspace Mobility
- EASA Approves HTC Blades for Bell Huey
- Philippine Navy completes vertrep exercise with AW109
- Milestone delivers first S92 to Caverton Helicopters
- FAA approves five-blade Airbus H145
- EASA issues 3rd edition of Helicopter Flight Instructor Guide
- HAI determined that Heli-Expo 2021 will be live, not virtual
- MD Helicopters completes another MD500E conversion to MD530F
- Thales and StandardAero mark first flight of 4-axis autopilot for Airbus AS350 and H125
- Brazil’s Federal Highway Police orders six AW119s
- Elbit win $96M Contract for a Rotary-Wing Mission Training Center
- Leonardo to add extra baggage pod to AW189
- 29-Nov-20 9N-AJJ Airbus AS350B2 Nuwakot, Nepal