Thora Capital (“Thora”), a Chicago-based alternative asset manager dedicated to aviation finance, hired Marc Schechter as Managing Director. Mr. Schechter brings over a decade of experience in the helicopter industry to Thora.
“Our team at Thora is thrilled to welcome such an impressive talent to the organization,” said Adam Gerchen, Chairman of Thora. “Marc’s wealth of experience will further enhance both our origination and underwriting capabilities.”
In his role prior to joining Thora, Mr. Schechter was Head of Risk and Credit at one of the world’s largest aircraft leasing organizations. While there, he managed over $1 billion of aircraft leased across thirty countries. He also integrated two different underwriting and credit management platforms after his former employer completed an acquisition. Mr. Schechter holds a B.A. from Northwestern University and an M.B.A. from UCLA’s Anderson School of Management.
Separately, Thora has advised an investor group on the successful consummation of a helicopter acquisition and leaseback involving three Airbus EC135s in Emergency Medical Services (“EMS”) configuration. The aircraft are leased and operated by Apollo MedFlight, headquartered in Texas.
“We are pleased to be able to advise this particular investor group on its first fully unilateral helicopter acquisition, while also bolstering our growing portfolio of managed assets,” said Matthew Rothschild, CEO of Thora.
The helicopters will be used in Nebraska for both emergency and non-emergency medical transport.
“We are delighted to continue to support our investors in this way and also to be supporting the important work that Apollo MedFlight does across the USA,” said Russell Christopher, Managing Director of Thora Capital. “These are popular and versatile aircraft and will be used to save lives and help Apollo, an existing lessee of Thora’s capital partners, to grow their footprint and serve its mission.”
“The deal required Thora to provide its full underwriting expertise to assist the investor group in its investment decision-making. Thora’s established underwriting practices and procedures facilitated an accelerated closing, which took less than four weeks from executing the Letter of Intent to funding and delivery,” said Russell Christopher, who led the transaction.
Vedder Price, Washington DC, was legal counsel to the transaction. Uniflight Global, based in Grand Prairie, Texas, is technical servicer and will provide collateral monitoring to the asset manager.
- PNG LNG adds H145 for Papua New Guinea operations
- EBAA to Send Young Leaders to One Young World Global Youth Summit
- UPMC Mercy Unveils New Rooftop Helipad
- Russian Helicopters delivers first Ansat to a client in Europe
- Asia Pacific Aerospace Extends its T700 MRO Provider Agreement with GE Aviation
- Spectrum Aeromed Brings On New VP of Operations
- Bell Boeing awarded $36M contract for V-22 parts
- Sikorsky awarded $16M contract for VH-3D/VH-60N updates
- Uttarakhand Government to add 8 destinations under Regional Connec
- NHC Northern Helicopter takes over offshore air rescue for the RWE Amrumbank wind farm
- Rush Health Systems now providing PHI Air Medical with blood products
- Georgia Border Police restore weekly Mi-8 flights to Tusheti
- WAI 2021 Conference Goes All-Virtual
- New President named at Sikorsky
- Russian Helicopters completed the transfer of Ka-52 within the framework of the 2020 State Defense Order
- SAAF helicopter squadrons top the Sword of Peace recipient list
- L-3 Technologies awarded $10M contract for procure six AN/SRQ-4 kits for the MH-60
- Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters restarts West Rim Grand Canyon tours
- Air Methods Announces New Missouri ARCH Air Medical Base
- Garmin Pilot Adds Graphical Airspace and Obstacle NOTAMs